Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1987, 5.0, 5 speed and have never bled the brakes. I bought it in 1994. Should brakes be bled at a certain interval? What happens if I don't? What is the complete procedure for bleeding them? Thanks:D

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
what you want to do is to open up the master cylinder and make sure that it is full of fluid. Then start with the farthest one from the master cylinder which is the Passenger side rear, after you bleed that do the drivers side rear, after that do the passenger side front, then finally the drivers side front.

Its alot easier if you can get someone to help you out by pumping the brakes while you bleed the system. Also you can grab a bleeder kit from your parts store or you can get some tubing and a small container filled with brake fluid. Make sure that they bottom of the hose is submerged into the brake fluid.

With the MC open go to the wheel that you are doing and open it to the point where fluid is coming out then close just enough so that it stops but you can still open it.

have somebody pump the brake several times and then hold it all the way to the floor board.

connect the hose to the top of the bleeder and unscrew it to allow the fluid and air bubbles to be pushed out, tell helper to release the brake pedal when the fluid is done pushing out, this will suck clean fluid back in with no air bubbles as long as the bottom of the hose is submerged, close bleeder bolt.

Now do this several times until you no longer see air bubbles coming out with the fluid. Also periodically check to make sure that your MC is always topped off.

once you are finished with that one wheel and are sure that its clear of bubbles tighten the bleeder bolt and then start on the next one.

Keep repeating until you have a firm pedal feel.

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
A few things...
If I were you... this is what I would do.

First, get a set of Speed Bleeders at you local parts store, Jegs, Summit, or
Speed Bleeder Bleeding Brakes Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes Automotive Bleeder Screw Brake Bleeder

Use Valvoline SuperSyn fluid. very good but cheap.

Speed bleeders makes the job so freakin easy, a monkey can do it.

Like he said, you start at the farthest wheel.. usually the right rear.

Jack up the car, pull the wheel off.
Unscrew the old bleeder screw and replace with the speed bleeder.

Now you need a hose and catch can.. sometimes an old water bottle. Put the hose on teh speed bleeder, Loosen the Speed bleeder 1/2 turn. Go pump the brakes 5 times.

Check the MC, refill.

Keep pumping until the fluid coming out is clear, or what ever color brake fluid you are using.

DO NOT LET THE MASTER CYLINDER GO EMPTY. CHECK AFTER EVERY 5 PUMPS OF THE PEDAL.

Move on to the next wheel etc.

The speed bleeder has a relief valve (steel ball and spring) inside. So fluid goes out, but no air goes back in.

its the best 15 bucks you can ever spend on your car.

Guarantee you brakes will feel like a rock when your done.

I bleed my brakes at the track after every few track sessions.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
:withhomo

sorry if i left out a couple of things. I can do it without thinking but when i have to put it down i had to sit there and visualize what i do and what i was taught:lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the speed bleeder and the Valvoline synthetic Dot3/4 fluid. I have the rear wheel off. Where exactly is the bleed valve located? :banghead I see a brake line going into a fitting and what looks like a grease fitting. Is the "grease fitting" looking thing the bleeder valve? I have a Haynes repair manual, but it just says to loosen and bleed, but doesn't show which screw. I don't want to take off the wrong thing and put air in the line. Thanks!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What size is everyone else's speed bleeders? If they are 3/8 threads,how do you use them to bleed rear drum brakes since that won't fit in the bleeder hole where the stock bleeder is?

If I do it the normal way with a can of fluid and a hose from the bleeder valve to an end submerged in the fluid, will it still flush the entire system so I can get all new fluid in the brake system?

I have 32 oz. of fluid (1/2 gallon) of fluid. Is this enough to flush the entire brake system?

·
Registered
540 Posts
If I do it the normal way with a can of fluid and a hose from the bleeder valve to an end submerged in the fluid, will it still flush the entire system so I can get all new fluid in the brake system?
Yes, the speed bleeder just makes it easier, other than that it's the same. Just make sure while bleeding the brakes that the reservoir never runs out of fluid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts