Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of speed bleeders and the Valvoline synthetic Dot3/4 fluid. The speed bleeders were bought from Advance Auto parts today. They brought up my car and it listed this part. Then we got it off the shelf.
Where exactly is the bleed valve located? I see a brake line going into a fitting on the axle side of the drum. These threads look to be the same size as the speed bleeder. If I remove this, won't air get into the line and nothing will get bled in the actual drum brake?!
Also see something that looks like a grease fitting. This is right next to the fitting with the brake line going to it and on the axle side of the drum. Is the "grease fitting" looking thing the bleeder valve? I have a Haynes repair manual, but it just says to loosen and bleed, but doesn't show which screw. I don't want to take off the wrong thing and put air in the line. Thanks!!

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
that grease fitting is the bleeder screw, dont use that **** autozone gave you, have a friend pump the break then hold it down, go to the rear passenger side and twist that screw till you hear air come out then tighten it back down. Repeat till fluid comes out with no air bubbles. Then do rear driverside. Its cake no stupid tools needed

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't bled them since I bought the car in 1993. I wanted to bleed the whole system. Have to do it in parts (2 young kids) so if I wait until I can do all 4 wheels and get a friend to help, it will be a while, that's why I got the spped bleeder to do it myself. Is there an easy way to do it myself? I will probably have to do a wheel or maybe 2 a day if I'm lucky.

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
dont use that **** autozone gave you,
They are actually either "Speed Bleeder" or Russell brand.

They are fine. You can go ahead and use them. Same ones that you would get from Jegs, or Summit.

Remove the old one, put in the speed bleeder, make it snug. put a wrench on it, and a tube on the nipple part... open the bleeder about 1/2 turn. pump the pedal 3-5 times, CHECK THE RESERVOIR. Like I said in the other thread, dont let it run down. Keep filling it up. Do it until the fluid coming out is clear, tighten the bleeder and move on to the other wheel.

The whole job shouldnt take very long. post up if you have any problems.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Confused

:banghead I'm confused! I went to take out the bleeder valve from the passenger rear drum and replace it with the speed bleeder. The brakes look stock and I'm sure they weren't changed since '94. The one in the brake uses a 1/4" wrench to loosen, and brake fluid comes out when I do. Only problem is, the speed bleeder is 3/8 -24 threads and there is no way that is fitting in the hole where the bleed valve comes out. :( I installed the original back to not get air in (only loosened about 1/4 turn until I saw fluid start to come out). I went on speed bleeders website and looked up a 87 mustang v8 and got a 3/8"-24 speed bleeder?? Is it possible that people usually only bleed the front brakes and it will fit there? The fitting that connects the brake line to the rear drum brake looks to be 3/8-24 thread, but that will not work to bleed, correct? Do i need a different size for the rear drum brakes, maybe 1/4"-20?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What size threads are the speed bleeders everyone else is using and if they're 3/8", how do you use them to bleed rear brakes?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what happened. When I got to the front brakes, the speed bleeders fit in the bleed holes in the calipers. They also worked like a charm. I flushed about a quart of fluid in 10 minutes! The rear drums had to be done the 2 person way. Maybe before I do next time, I'll look for the smaller speed bleeders. Pedal feels much better now sitting in car. Have to wait for a decent day to take it out to try though, probably weekend. Thank you to all for your help:)

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
if you have a harbor frieght tools by you, or hell you could just order it, pick up a vacuum bleeder. it makes the job MUCH easier and its probably around 20$

if you can justify the cost for bleeding brakes its worth it, but if you will just use it once for the rear brakes its prob not worth it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts