Modded Mustang Forums banner

Blew up the 7.5

1K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  warrior86 
#1 ·
While getting ready to go on a beer run before starting to work on a friend's DSM I was easily coaxed into getting on the car a bit....and boom. So now the car sits, looking sad at the end of my parking lot while I source an 8.8. I wasn't expecting to blow the diff until after the turbo, so now I have to push back that project until the rear end and drive shaft are swapped.

#2 ·
What were you doing exactly to blow it up?

#5 ·
I've heard of people breaking them with just a CAI/tune and slicks

#6 ·
just bolt ons and a canned tune. The car has 92K very hard miles on them. I am on RE11s and was doing a 1500 rpm launch on wet pavement. Found an 8.8 locally so I will be looking to get that swapped as soon as I get a drive shaft too.

#8 ·
My guess is you popped the clutch on wet and there was a dry patch and when the spinning tires hooked on the dry pavement is when it went boom. Shock like that is hard on any diff but for a 7.5 ring gear its usually death.
I could be wrong but I have seen it happen before. I killed a 7.5 ring gear in my 94 Z28 with a Rossler TH400/RMVB/4000 stall. The diff really hated the way that transmission shifted. When I pulled the diff cover I just started laughing.
Makes perfect sense.

GL bro!

#7 ·
My guess is you popped the clutch on wet and there was a dry patch and when the spinning tires hooked on the dry pavement is when it went boom. Shock like that is hard on any diff but for a 7.5 ring gear its usually death.
I could be wrong but I have seen it happen before. I killed a 7.5 ring gear in my 94 Z28 with a Rossler TH400/RMVB/4000 stall. The diff really hated the way that transmission shifted. When I pulled the diff cover I just started laughing.

#11 ·
Picked up my new rear end this morning. I will be putting some paint on it before putting it on the car. I am also going to be getting a drive shaft with a flange for the 8.8 so I don't have to worry about swapping the pinion flange.

I will post up pictures of the carnage as soon as I get the old diff off and opened up.

#13 ·
about how much is it gona cost do you think total with install. its kinda funny i just recently finished my 67 now 350 SS with an LS1 and a six speed out of a 2002 corvette, the car started life as a sixer and the only original part left was the axles. needless to say that diff lasted about five miles lol utterly destroyed. looking to upgrade the rear on that and to do it on my stang as well and was just curious how much it would cost for the stang

#14 ·
I found the new rear end locally for 500 I am also going to upgrade the drive shaft while I am at it so there is another 4-500. I will be doing the install my self so that is free, add ~40 for fluid.

rear end prepped for install tomorrow after work.

#15 ·
Looks good I wish I would have taken the time to paint mine while I was at it. Good luck with the install!

#16 ·
I got the chance to take the diff cover off today and here is what I found...

It is a little hard to tell in the pictures, but there are a total of 4 teeth missing from the driver's side spider gear, 2 at the "top" and another 2 180 from them.

There are also some healthy chunks missing from the horizontal gears.

My 8.8 is under the car and now just waiting for a drive shaft before it all goes back together.

#18 ·
Oh yeah, I knew the ring and pinion were fine. I suppose I could have mentioned earlier in the thread that I drove it about a mile from my buddies place where I broke it back to mine. In straight lines it was fine, the spider gears were just locking up so it was running like a spool and hopping the inside wheel and making lots of fun crunching noises on turns.

#19 ·
I have a aluminum coastline driveshaft for automatics for sale if your interested. I never wanted to spend the money getting it redone since I have a 5 speed.

#22 ·
400 + shipping. Hell it was only ever used by youngin for a month. I never even installed it because it was the wrong length for mine.

#23 ·
actually ill do 400 including shipping. It retails for around 600.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.