Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it goes guys!

Finally got time to sit down and do this write-up. Done with finals and got some free time...

The Wash

To start with, I washed my Stang with 1oz per gallon of water using CG's Citrus Wash + Gloss. I have been using this soap as a maintenance wash using 1 oz per 5 gallon wash bucket. It creates great lubricity and decent suds (even though I haven't invested in a PW or Foam Gun). This is especially true at the LSP stripping power of 5oz of product per 5 gallons. I could see the previous 845 and BFWD being stripped after letting the soap sit for about 2 minutes before washing the vehicle off.

I also used Amazing Roll-Off on the really dirty areas of the cars (I had just made a 2500+ mile trip to Boise and back to San Diego... so she was quite dirty). It really lifts the dirt and grime off the paint... however you have to be careful and dilute it correctly. It is also water activated as well, so you have to add your water before using the product. It also can lose its effectiveness if left diluted in water for more than a few hours...

Race Red can hide dirt pretty well... haha

Stripped of LSP

Engine Cleaning

My method for cleaning the engine is pretty simple. I like to use a combo of Mother's Tire cleaner (diluted 1:1) and also use a little bit of Zep Citrus (diluted 1:15) ... and if the engine bay is REALLY bad Amazing Roll-Off (1:20).

After letting the cleaners sit for about 4-5 minutes I use a few different dedicated trim and engine bay brushes I have. Scrub it up and lightly spray the bay off. Obviously you want to cover up your exposed air intake (if you have one), alterator, fuse box (if you want). I tend to just cover my alternator and CAI, but that's just me.

After drying off (using only shitty MF's for this task...). I like to either light spray the whole bay with Aerospace 303 or apply it via a mf towel or foam applicator (as I do in the interior). It keeps the exterior trim and engine bay looking brand new!

Links to products used for exterior cleaning.

http://www.autogeek.net/amazing-roll-off.html

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Premium_Car_Wash_Shampoo_p/cws_301.htm

http://www.autogeek.net/32oz.html

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100676344/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Zep+citrus&storeId=10051#.UMz3ym9XuyQ

More to come! Gotta upload more of the pics!

-Blink

Reactions: 93Mustang

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clay

After washing the vehicle I began claying the car. I used a Nanoskin Autoscrub (love this thing). I also used some Meg's clay to get in the hard to reach areas that the Autoscrub can't get to. Decent amount of contamination...

I used UWW+ concentrate (1/2 oz with 22 ounces of distilled water). Smells great, great lubricity and SUPER cost effective. I can't see myself having to buy another QD/WW again.

Took me about 45 minutes to do the whole car. I don't mind taking a little bit more time than is necessary to do it right!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Getting into the correction part!

Correction

I taped off the vehicle and began test spotting using M205 and a green pad.

I found most of the areas needed 205. Some areas (hood, front bumper, and rear) needed 105 if most spots. I used a PC with 3 1/2 backing plate with 4" Buf N' Shine pads for the tighter areas of the car (which was invaluable)!

IMHO, after working with all 3 polishes... I would say that M105 and M205 are awesome. Yes they dust like crazy... but it was easy to remove the dust. Just and annoyance. I like the idea behind the SF4500. But I can see myself using it. At least not on my car.

I also used a GG V2 DA for the majority of correction.

My pad collection was 2 of each for the following: 5" (Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue, Black). 4" (Yellow, Orange, Green, Blue).

I also used SF4500 (not sure if I am sold on it..).

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I also suggest getting at least ONE 500w work light. I thought I could pull it off with one 500w photography light set I borrowed from a friend... however. This happened just as I began on the hood.

The bulb apparently got too hot and blew up nearly in my face. I had to CAREFULLY pull off all the large pieces of glass and used some compressed air to blow off the small sand like shards. PITA!

I bought a dual 500w work light with tripod from Home Depot for $40 with 2 year no-hassle warranty. Pretty good deal!

I got super pissed because almost none of the before and after shots, nor the 50/50 shots came out. The camera I borrowed apparently doesn't do well in smaller darker settings. My garage barely has enough room to detail just one side. So I had to continually move the car in and out to get to each side.... I can't bitch too much though since I am lucky to have a garage in an apartment complex...

IPA wipedowns

I need to look for some more before and after pics in my friend's camera... Hopefully you can see the defects. My paint wasn't HORRIBLE so it didn't take half as long to correct like alot of you guys have.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Product Reviews

GG's DA vs PC's DA

DA's in the corner... didn't have a dedicated pic for them... haha

To start off... as I promised I'll be doing a comparison/review of the GG DA Polisher vs the PC DA. (GG denotes Griot's Garage. PC denotes Porter Cable. DA = Dual Action polisher. For those of you who are looking at getting a DA.)

I'll start off with the GG. One thing that sets it apart for the PC is its Lifetime Warranty. This is compared to the 2 year limited from PC.

I had read reviews of people feeling as if their GG was made of cheaper materials than the PC. IMHO, this is not the case. I found the GG to be more robust than the PC. The GG is also much more powerful than the PC. It take alot for the pad not to spin freely in almost every section I did my vehicle with.

The PC with the 4 in. pads in my findings would skip and "bottom" out in alot of the tight areas I worked on with my vehicle. It still worked well on speed setting 6... but compared to that of the GG... its pretty weak.

Is the PC a terrible tool? No of course not, but after being able to get some added practice with both.. I can confidently say I would buy a GG over a PC in a heartbeat. I also got lucky with Autogeek and got 2x GG DA's for $75 a piece... so worth it! :naughty:

However, the PC also has its positives. I like the speed setting dial MUCH better than on the GG. Also the GG power switch is very firm. I found myself going to turn it on and not pushing the selector far enough. This would cause the DA to spin and cut off as soon as I let go of the power button. It just took a little bit of use to get right. I also hated the location of the speed dial on the GG.

WHY would you put it on the bottom of the DA? It makes absolutely no sense. Also the GG I felt had much more going for it out of the box. It comes with a wrench (for removal and installation of backing plates), backing plate (for 6" in pads... which for Correction I didn't use), replacement brushes for the motor (VERY NICE TO HAVE), nice clear and concise manual, and a How-To CD.

I also loved the GG's handle on the DA. It makes it much easier to control than the PC. Its also much more comfy. I didn't like the side handle of the PC... so I just left it off. The PC's side handle also makes you tend to press the pad at an angle naturally. This is NOT what you want and I found myself having to continually correct the placement of the pad while using the side handle (this was when I first got the PC and used it to Autoscrub and apply LSP back in my last major detail.

Anyways, I hope that gives you all a little snapshot into what you can expect from both DA's. I am glad I have both. But now that I have 2 GG's and a PC... I think I need to figure out what to do with one or two of em.

More product reviews to come. I may be trying out 1z Einzeit today :)

-Blink

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here I will be posting up alot of the misc detailing supplies I have used as well as my thoughts on each.

To start, I tried out something that I love!

Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

I got a sample from AG when I ordered the two GG DA's and am quite impressed with the product.

After the correction I brought the vehicle outside to treat ALL the trim on the Stang with 303 Aerospace. I also cleaned the tires and wheels with UWW+ (it ate up any leftover break dust and tire grime... I was quite impressed)!

After doing so and letting the tires dry, I grabbed the Wolf's (new to me) tire gel. It separates into two liquids and needs to be shook thoroughly.. like most detailing supplies. After doing so, I cut up a large sponge into multiple pieces (why waste foam app pads!?) and put a two small lines onto the foam pad. I spread the product out evenly over the tire until it had a perfect thin layer. Obviously your goal is to get perfect application of the whole face of the tire without excess product that could cause sling onto your beautiful paint!

I was amazed on how FAR this product went. I used less than 20% of the SAMPLE bottle... on all 4 tires! Bang for your buck? Yes!

But what about durability? Here's the test. :p

So as some of you may know. Southern California doesn't get much rain. When it does it usually sprinkles. Well just as I got done treating the trim with 303 Aerospace and the tires with Wolf's Black Diamond Tire gel. A torrential rain storm began to DUMP outside. I had the car parked in the garage at the time and only have the vehicle 45 to sit and let the products dry. I had to go lance my Parent's dogs foot... and so had to drive 25 minutes in this heavy rain. (poor dog had a HUGE blister in between his webbed toes... OUCH!)

Judging by much of the tire gels I had used in the past... almost all of them would wash off even in the lightest of rain.

However, the next day after I got into the garage, I noticed both the 303 and Tire gel had NOT been washed away, but looked PERFECT! I honestly was surprised and very happy with the results and durability.

Once the sample is gone, I can see myself buying a bottle and can see it lasting for a VERY long time!

I'll get some pics of the tires today. I gotta leave soon anyways!

Hope you enjoyed.

-Blink

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reserved........

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
AWESOME WORK!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
wow you are lucky that bulb blowing up didnt shred up the paint when all those pieces hit it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AWESOME WORK!
Thanks man!

wow you are lucky that bulb blowing up didnt shred up the paint when all those pieces hit it.
Ya.... I know. I was so pissed. Luckily, it didn't. The worst part was getting all the small pieces off the paint safely. That's where the compressed air came in.

great writeup!
I wasn't a fan of sf4500 at all for my use either, I traded it and a green pad for lava and a sample of 50/50
Ya I don't see myself using it again...

However, while I was doind the detail, many of my neighbors came by and asked what the hell I was doing. After I explained a few of them said they would be willing to potentially have their vehicles corrected in the future.

The one that really got my attention was an older couple with a early 70's Mach 1. They were the most interested and LOVED how my car came out. Cant wait!

I'll go over more product reviews and more of the correction tomorrow! Stay tuned.

-Blink

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
Very nice man. I'm doing mine right now and it took me forever today. I think it took 9 hours today to do m105 because I had a couple pad issues and then decided to swith products after doing the roof and went back and re-did it.

How long did it take you? Looks great man. Looking forward to seeing more.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would say it took me about 15 hours all together from start to finish. I had alot of breaks as small issues came into play. I didn't have any pad issues. All Buff N' Shine pads.

I used 105 in the higher wear areas of the car and 205 in the others. Orange and Green pads. Didn't use Yellow at all.

I'll be posting more tomorrow!

-Blink

·
Happy Man
2,472 Posts
I would say it took me about 15 hours all together from start to finish. I had alot of breaks as small issues came into play. I didn't have any pad issues. All Buff N' Shine pads.

I used 105 in the higher wear areas of the car and 205 in the others. Orange and Green pads. Didn't use Yellow at all.

I'll be posting more tomorrow!

-Blink
Nice. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Added some more. More to come later. Gotta head out for a bit!

-Blink

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Here I will be posting up alot of the misc detailing supplies I have used as well as my thoughts on each.

To start, I tried out something that I love!

Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel

I got a sample from AG when I ordered the two GG DA's and am quite impressed with the product.

After the correction I brought the vehicle outside to treat ALL the trim on the Stang with 303 Aerospace. I also cleaned the tires and wheels with UWW+ (it ate up any leftover break dust and tire grime... I was quite impressed)!

After doing so and letting the tires dry, I grabbed the Wolf's (new to me) tire gel. It separates into two liquids and needs to be shook thoroughly.. like most detailing supplies. After doing so, I cut up a large sponge into multiple pieces (why waste foam app pads!?) and put a two small lines onto the foam pad. I spread the product out evenly over the tire until it had a perfect thin layer. Obviously your goal is to get perfect application of the whole face of the tire without excess product that could cause sling onto your beautiful paint!

I was amazed on how FAR this product went. I used less than 20% of the SAMPLE bottle... on all 4 tires! Bang for your buck? Yes!

But what about durability? Here's the test. :p

So as some of you may know. Southern California doesn't get much rain. When it does it usually sprinkles. Well just as I got done treating the trim with 303 Aerospace and the tires with Wolf's Black Diamond Tire gel. A torrential rain storm began to DUMP outside. I had the car parked in the garage at the time and only have the vehicle 45 to sit and let the products dry. I had to go lance my Parent's dogs foot... and so had to drive 25 minutes in this heavy rain. (poor dog had a HUGE blister in between his webbed toes... OUCH!)

Judging by much of the tire gels I had used in the past... almost all of them would wash off even in the lightest of rain.

However, the next day after I got into the garage, I noticed both the 303 and Tire gel had NOT been washed away, but looked PERFECT! I honestly was surprised and very happy with the results and durability.

Once the sample is gone, I can see myself buying a bottle and can see it lasting for a VERY long time!

I'll get some pics of the tires today. I gotta leave soon anyways!

Hope you enjoyed.

-Blink
I'm surprised how much you like it, if you enjoy it that much please try out Eco touch tire shine, as for me this went farther, looked better, and lasts much longer, iirc it's also cheaper, it's my go to dressing for shows and shoots I care about

I was disappointed in that Wolfgang tire gel, it's a good product but not great imo, it didn't go as far as I'd like, the look was a little too glossy whereas I like a very deep satin shine, obviously dressed but not too glossy

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting. I'll have to check it out. I am always willing to try out new products... and I know the Wolf's may not be the BEST but I did like it.

How much did you use per wheel? My tires aren't glossy at all.

Thanks for the advice man. How's the durability on the Eco Touch?

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
I'm not trying to discredit you or anything just offering my experience of it
The Wolfgang wasn't glossy per say, I just wasn't completely satisfied with the finish, it was decently durable, it's a good product imo I just wouldn't buy it myself, idk my 2 oz Eco touch is about to be empty and I've dressed my wiper cowl, wipers which it's not made for at all lol, tires, , mirrors (some times ) and my giant chin spoiler I'd say 6-7 times, and I'm pretty liberal with it, and I've spilled some once :mad: at the am show lol

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I appreciate the advice I am always open to suggestions feedback. I understand what you are getting at. I'll try the eco touch sometime. About to make an order from DC!

Any advice on these... I know you have used a lot of CG stuff.

Thanks man!

-Blink

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Go to members only and order uttg and upp!
Also please lemme know how you like bare bones

You're a blackfire user like me and I'd like to hear another comparison, and at its price on dc it's hard to turn down..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts