Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was reading the clubhouse posts, and found http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/clubhouse/53219-new-car.html
OMZ posted that 96-98s like to blow head gaskets at about 85k. I'm wondering if this is just a V6 thing, or if the V8s do it to? And is it caused by hard driving (read racing) or just driving? If so, would putting a new head gasket in fix it, or should I be thinking about having to do some serious work to save my engine? My 96 only has 64k on it, and I don't race, and I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't, but I'd rather do what I need to keep this from happening, than put it off and have it happen at 81k while I'm planning on doing it at 84k.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
As far as i know it must just be a v6 thing bc my cars got 189k on it and hasnt blown a head gasket and i havent seen any posts here of people with blown head gaskets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm thinking that would really suck. I don't want to have to mess with this right now, since I want to start actually modding my car. I'd like to have the HP and torque to take the V6 Honda that the a$$hole ex-boss/ex-friend bought, by the end of the summer. That way I can go off to grad school knowing I screwed him with my ex/his GF, screwed his business, screwed him with INS getting his mail-order bride to the country, AND owned him in his craptastic import.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as i know it must just be a v6 thing bc my cars got 189k on it and hasnt blown a head gasket and i havent seen any posts here of people with blown head gaskets.
I sure hope so. I've read alot of the posts on here, and haven't seen anything either, but I'm worried now. My first car was a Festiva, and it blew a gasket at about 120k, while I was on the highway, 2 hours from home. I'd REALLY like to avoid that happening again.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
yea apparently the v6 engines are the only one i head of blowing head gaskets as many people as i talked to they 4.6's werent any problems im pushing 160k and never had the problem

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Im a ford tech and the only reason i have replaced a 4.6 headgasket was due to oil leaks they develop over time. They are talking about 3.8 v6's. They are junk, always have been always will be. Its NOT a good motor, no matter truck, van, taurus, or Mustang. Even worse with those stupid s/c's on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts