Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you tell if you have a blown turbo? I took my turbo off and had it looked at when oil pushed through the seal and out the exhaust, and i was told it had normal shaftplay. well, when i started it yesterday oil leaked out of the other turbo (i think it was because i didn't take that one off and drain the excess oil out of that one) but the turbo that i had removed seemed to spin pretty freely, but when i shut if off it stopped spinning almost immediately...but shouldnt it have sat there and spun for a lil bit? ive seen that on other turbo cars.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
it all depends on the turbo size..
whats the size of ur turbos?
any turbo over heating issues?
do they glow red fatser then normal?

its thanksgiving and everyone is talking too loud so i really cant think right now..
but let me know on the above info..

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the turbos are 67mm. .70 a/r comp and .63 turbine. the turbos are new. i've only ever started the car 2x with the turbos on the car, and its only idled for maybe a minute.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
well at idle you may not be pushing out/sucking enough too turn the turbines on a big turbo like that.. especially two..
but this is what you need too do.. get someone too raise the rpms little by little and see at what rpm the turbos begin too spin..
if is before 3krpm then the turbo is fine(as long as there is no oil leaking out the turbo its self.)
and we'll go from there..

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea oil seems to always be dripping off of the turbos. i just tried tightening up the bolts on the housings so we'll see how it looks tomorrow. the turbos were spinning, it was just when i turned the car off that the turbos stopped spinning abruptly.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
some turbos do stop suddenly after car is shut off.. so dont worry about that..
but it could stop suddenly from lack of lubrication..(oil leakage)..

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah well i started it again today and both turbos blew out tons of oil into the exhaust, so i duno whats gona happen now. my mech thinks that either my turbo drains need to be reconfigured or that my seals are blown. soo we'll see, thanks!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
keep us posted! its nice to have full troubleshooting so if other person get something like this, they know what to check!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
yeah its deff your seals not the turbo them selves.. which is a good thing considering the seals are MUCH cheaper

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah on top of that, i called garrett to get a quote on a rebuild, and they asked for the serial number that stamped on an id tag on the center section. well i dont have a serial tag on my center section, therefore they arent garrett turbos. i have chinese knockoffs. im continually losing faith in HP. i called hp and they claim that they are garretts, just specially made garretts. teh only thing that says garrett on the turbos are the exhaust housings.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
if it doesnt say garret on the turbos then they are def not garrets..
garret (and every other turbo manufacts) stamps theie name on the ar housing of their turbos..

law suit:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts