Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a terrible belt squeel the other day when I started up the Mustang, I decided it was time to change the belt anyhow cause my pullies were slightly out of Alignment. When I looked behind the blower I found the reason the belt was squeeling. The vortech Shaft seal was leaking oil really bad. 350+ dollars to send it back to vortech OR order a seal from Napa and replaced it myself? Of course I replaced it myself, and it was very easy Just remove the bolts on the back of the blower cover then lift the housing off, Tap the seal out of the back cover, then install a new seal. Reinstall in reverse, just be careful not to pinch the big O ring. have you ever wondered what it looks like inside a T trim? well here you go. the 8 rib kit vortech sends is a pretty good kit, But the spacers were just to big for my pullies to all line up properly, so After buying a laser level, I ended up using washers to get mine lined up real good tonight. just a few things to put on tomorrow and she will be back up and running without all the squeeling.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Damn what an overdrive lol.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never had this happen before, but its just a part of the game, im just glad I was able to repair it so easily at home. While I had the blower off i cleaned everything up and got it all looking new again, tomorrow I just need to get my intercooler piping back on and make a few adjustments.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any clue if its te same for a p1 procharger??? Mine I doing the same!!!
Not sure man, but its not a hard job either way the worst part for mine is changing the belt.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put the part number from napa on here for the Vortech guys, im not sure if this seal will work on your procharger or not. Once you pull off the pulley on the blower look at the oil seal numbers, and youll be able to match a seal up that way. I cant imagine it being a different seal to be honest, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I blew the seals out of my previous SI trim and again this year with my YSI. We redid the seals on the YSI here too.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I blew the seals out of my previous SI trim and again this year with my YSI. We redid the seals on the YSI here too.
I wonder what causes that, possibly over spinning the blower? the seals dont look to be the best quality if I get another leak ill be looking for a different brand seal.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quick probably dumb question but which is the output n which is the input shafts?? I'm guessing output is were propellor is and input is were the pulley is?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Input shaft would be where the pulley mounts, the output would be the impellor.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Same exact seal is leaking on mine. I was thinking about sending mine in, but I think I'll just replace the seal. Then send the blower in to be upgraded to an Si trim. Vs $350 for new bearings and seals plus $380 to upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dont send it in there is a part number on my first post, just get that seal from NAPA, and change it yourself its pretty easy.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Thanks man! That part, is the seal rated for that rpm?

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem its the Exact same seal that Vortech puts in it.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Cool dude, seems easy enough. I think I'll replace that seal, then send mine in to upgrade to an Si blower. It'll save $350 for the rebuild fee lol.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I wonder what causes that, possibly over spinning the blower? the seals dont look to be the best quality if I get another leak ill be looking for a different brand seal.
I was overspinning my SI trim and presume that to be the cause on the 1st one.

On the YSI I spoke with Vortech and they said when making big big boost the YSI needs a 1/2" inside diameter return line. I redid the seals and went to custom stainless steel feed and return line with massive 1/2" i/d including all fittings.

No issues since.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Not sure man, but its not a hard job either way the worst part for mine is changing the belt.
I have a RR manual tensioner and it makes the belt swap much easier (especially with the pressure from my Thump Racing tensioner on there too) ... but with my 10% o/d I/W dampner - I have to remove the water pump pulley to get the 8 rib belt out from between. :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
can you post up a picture of that tensioner setup? do you have the 1 bolt timing cover or the three bolt?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts