Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i did a **** ton of work to fit a type r 12 in my vert. it hits pretty damn good but it takes up the entire trunk of the vert.

i decided to go with i single 8'' sub in a smaller box with the port on the outside of the box ran through the trunk fireing into the back seat. i am also getting some badass 5 1/2'' mid woofers for the doors. i love stuff you caint go buy at best buy. people look at it and think it's some cheep china **** till you turn it on. and then when they find out what i paid....THEY **** THEMSELVES :p
both should be here by friday.
here are the mid woofers
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=843
this is the sub
SSA Store - Sundown Audio SA-8 Subwoofer
if anybody wants a nice 12 box 1.75 cf tuned to 34 herts let me know. it fits in a fox notch or vert nicely

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty close to the spec listed by alpine. I can say this, it sure dint sound like a broken doughnut!lol it hits pretty damn hard for in a vert. I have been wanting some bad ass 8's though for awhile . I almost ordered a tc sounds epic 8 last night but they only offer it in duel 2 ohm . And work best in a sealed enclosure. That wont do me no good in a vert

·
Registered
659 Posts
nice gotta show those silver flutes. For the money those look like a good price if they sound good.

·
Registered
659 Posts
i was looking at those sundown and the tc's, i always thought that dual 2ohm subs were better. What would be best for my hatch? I like the tc and sundown both equally and i dont have an amp yet so i guess it doesnt matter for me.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they are both bad ass 8's. the tc sounds sub is is top quality stuff and will handle more power, but a sealed box in the trunk of a vert woint do **** with the top down. they just came out and i have been looking at the sundowns for bit, but i would have gotten that epic if a sealed box would have worked. the amp i have although not anything great. will put out 500 rms @ 2 ohm w/14 v. i get 14 at my battery so it would do the job for now. if you have a badass amp thats 1 ohm mono stable than it will most likly be pushing good power.
on the silver flutes:
we actually orderd the wrong ones last week(8 ohm ones). they are built like a tank man!! my buddy just ordered me the right pair and is keeping them to make some house speakers. they are veary well built i'm exited to hear them to. they have thick cast baskets just like a woofer, and they have some pretty beefy magnets on them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have crossovers right now on my car for my front speakers, I know my 5.25 speakers now put out slight amount of music and bass. Would i be able to run the flutes off the crossover as well. Also do they only put out midbass, so i would need a tweeter to get the rest of the sound?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
nice, let us know how the SQ is when you get it built. what size enclosure are you planning to build for it? im looking for a good sq sub with a small footprint(box size) for my focus. was thinking about getting a dayton reference HD 10" but i might go with what you got

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice, let us know how the SQ is when you get it built. what size enclosure are you planning to build for it? im looking for a good sq sub with a small footprint(box size) for my focus. was thinking about getting a dayton reference HD 10" but i might go with what you got
the tc sounds epic 8 only needs like a .45 cu foot sealed box.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-657
it's going to be hard to get sq out of the vert.lol! as far as for the sundown. my plan is a small (.80 cf) box with the port outside the box fired through the space where the top pump is. into the back seat. its pretty hard to get loud in the vert. this was what i wanted to do with two of the sundowns you got check it out
Bill Lawrence's Car Audio Page

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not sure you would want to do this or if it is even applicable to your vehicle but when I was doing subs in my sisters car I took the seat and all the trim out of the back and trunk area and cut some big 12" holes in everything and it hits nice. It's the only subs I've done that wasn't a hatch back, suv or truck! I like sealed boxes, small and hit hard, just takes more power to get the same SPL. Plus most of my stereos are in trucks where inside space is virtually all used already. I haven't heard of some of these brands and I am pretty in to stereos. Any of you guys like Focal or Memphis?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure you would want to do this or if it is even applicable to your vehicle but when I was doing subs in my sisters car I took the seat and all the trim out of the back and trunk area and cut some big 12" holes in everything and it hits nice. It's the only subs I've done that wasn't a hatch back, suv or truck! I like sealed boxes, small and hit hard, just takes more power to get the same SPL. Plus most of my stereos are in trucks where inside space is virtually all used already. I haven't heard of some of these brands and I am pretty in to stereos. Any of you guys like Focal or Memphis?
are you talking about cutting holes in the back deck or seats and running free air? it would not be applicable for the sub or the car!! as far as ''BRAND NAME" stuff goes. their are far far better stuff then jl audio and rockford fosgate out their. jl makes really good stuff, but for the price they want they are ****in nuts.im not that into it but my boy is. he has been rocken Digital Design subs for a few years now, and right now he has Treo **** in his car. pound for pound either one of those brands will GRILL the name brand crap they sell you at the big box store.
i like sealed boxes also. i like the fast hitting base they give, but it just woint do in the trunk of a fox vert. with the top down i woint hear ****. you have to work pretty hard to get load in a fox vert. the box i have now with a older type-r 12 hitts pretty damn hard now. i just want to change to a lighter/smaller setup than i have now, but not loose what i have.
i just got all my speakers in yesterday (silver flutes and the sundown) and its going to be retarded! havent uploaded any pics yet and it's to late tonight, but the sa-8 is crazy freaking sexy! the things built like a tank man. woven tinsle leads to the coils, cant hardly even press the cone down , can se the copper coil through the vents,MASSIVE magnet and motor on this thing!!
i'm going to make the new box out of Trupan. 60 percent lighter than mdf and not much more a sheet.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
focal is for sq and they are great at it, but at a price!! memphis is pretty good also, but i think they got bought out and the older stuff bis what you want.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ya I was referring to a potential free air setup. I believe you about the small company stuff and ya some of the box store **** is crazy expensive! I have a pretty good hookup at a car toys though so that is part of the reason I go that route, also the fact that I can listen to stuff side by side. That experience is the whole reason I got sucked into the Focal world, holy **** what a difference in the sound. The highs never get 'tinny' so they don't hurt your ears after long periods of high volume listening. The JL's i got even at my price were several hundred dollars....each. I have installed Memphis stuff for others but never personally had them so I don't know how they hold up. The JL's paired with Focals in my truck is probably one of my favorite stereo's I've ever heard, got lucky and hit a good combo for the vehicle:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oh ya, I missed that it was a vert. I see why you want to save room! Sounds like a sick sub. Ya got it in yet? How's it sound?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i have yet to hear an 8" sub in comparison to a 12 or a 10 in person. would like to know how hard they hit and what they sound like, especially something like that one. i don't want extremely tight bass, but don't want something for only rap either. i have a 12" JL sub and am wanting a 10 just so i can put a box in the trunk and not take up 72 square feet lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Generally speaking a bigger dia sub will hit the lower notes and put out exponentially more SPL then a smaller sub. The surface area of a single 12 is almost as big as two 8's. I've really liked my dual 10's but I will admit that there are some notes they just don't pick up well, even in comparison to my single 12 in my other truck. Some much so that I'm probably going to remove my center console and fab it into a single 12 box and put it back in.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
You want something that makes people go "oh what the f***" A sundown e8 in a T-line :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
e8 r old stick with the sa they can take power i had a buddy of mine with 48 10s on 17 saz1500 doing nasty 160 in 6th order bandpass

1 - 20 of 27 Posts