Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are both the front and the rear driveshaft loops necessary when upgrading? $240 for both is pretty steep. Is it okay to run only the front or rear safety loop? and if so, which one is more important?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Running just the front is acceptable.

Reactions: Mickey

·
Registered
194 Posts
If you have a one piece Drive shaft the front is all that you need, but if you still have the two piece DS you need both.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The BMR unit is a quality piece. Mickey, check your PMs. I'll sell you a BMR front ds safety cheap.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I guess I assumed you had a 1 piece DS, if you do, then the front is all that is needed. If you still have the 2 piece, you should run 2.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
Why exactly is a safety loop needed when upgrading the DS? What do the loops do?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Why exactly is a safety loop needed when upgrading the DS? What do the loops do?
It's not because the upgraded shaft, it's a saftey rule for the dragstrip incase you snap your shaft. Keeps it from hitting too many things.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I believe NHRA only requires a loop if you're running slicks.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
If you lose the driveshaft in the front you run the risk of tearing the rear end out of the car. The loop will hold it up off of the ground. If you lose the driveshaft in the rear it will more than likely just flop around until you get stopped.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I believe you are correct, but it is a good safety precaution no matter what class you are running in.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If the driveshaft, or the u-joint, breaks in the front the shaft can fall down and catch the ground, and actually has a possibility of flipping the car end over end. It is a safety precaution, and a good idea too.

I think it is also required on any car running 12.99 or quicker. Or maybe it was 11.99. But I think it's a good idea even with just drag radials.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive seen videos of car literally flipping over in the air due to a d/s coming out of the tranny..that is why you run saftey loop(s)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Plus safety loops are designed to protect the tunnel under the car, you don't want a broken drive shaft tearing apart the tunnel next to your legs spinning at 100+ MPH.

·
Registered
985 Posts
hmmm, I know at Summit Motorsports Park last year my friend with an 11.5 second S-10 failed tech because he was running slicks. They told him to either put a loop on it or run drag radials. I do agree however that it is a good precaution to have one no matter the time you run.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think it is a good idea to run a loop(s) too, a little extra safety never hurt anyone and if you drop a driveshaft under that kind of load it is usually a memorable expierience. I installed a Granatelli loop up front.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My buddy's 383 '89 GMC pickup had a rear u-joint fail on the road at 55 mph and the shaft bounced back up into the e-brake cables and instantly wound them tight. This locked up the rear wheels and sent the truck into an almost uncontrollable rear end bouncing skid, to which he steered into and brought the truck to a safe stop in the bottom of the ditch without further incident. But, the tranny housing was busted, the driveshaft was ruined, and he had to replace all the rear mechanical brake parts. Needless to say, he now runs a loop on that truck, and his incident got me to run loops on anything of mine that I regularly run hard. Moral of the story is: loops are a good idea on almost anything. And for the little bit of money that they cost, they can save you alot of money should you end up dropping a driveshaft. Could even save your life.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts