Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just picked up a rust free, female owned, bone stock 02 GT in really great shape. Im not necessarily making a race car out of it, eventually im gonna do the BBK X pipe with a cat back flowmaster system. However that will probably be next winters project as im doing some other things this winter. My question was, in the meantime is it worth it (sound wise, not performance) to put 2 2.25" Flowmasters on it for the year? If so which Flowmaster? 44 or 40? (whats even the difference?) - the other option is to just have a little fun and throw Cherry Bombs on it for the year but do they make a direct clamp in? - The Flowmasters will cost about 220 for both where Cherry Bombs id expect to pay around 80 bucks for both. - Keep in mind next winter the whole exhaust is being redone.

Advice appreciated.

Attachments

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Why Flowmaster? I remember a post from a former member "My ears are about to explode." He had a Flowmaster cat-back.

Some people like Flowmasters but I agree with the former member. I absolutely hated my Flowmaster cat-back to a point where I had the Flowmasters cut out and Magnaflows welded in. The Flowmaster drone killed my ears.

Drone is not loudness. Drone is a vibration between 1800-2200 rpm that is unrelated to loudness. Both Magnaflow and Flowmasters have the same decibel readings but the mufflers are of different designs. Magnaflows are straight through. Flowmasters have metal baffles. I'm assuming that the drone has something to do with the metal baffles but if you drive your car any distance you will learn to hate them.

As to the original question, why would you want to go through the expense twice?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why Flowmaster? I remember a post from a former member "My ears are about to explode." He had a Flowmaster cat-back.

Some people like Flowmasters but I agree with the former member. I absolutely hated my Flowmaster cat-back to a point where I had the Flowmasters cut out and Magnaflows welded in. The Flowmaster drone killed my ears.

Drone is not loudness. Drone is a vibration between 1800-2200 rpm that is unrelated to loudness. Both Magnaflow and Flowmasters have the same decibel readings but the mufflers are of different designs. Magnaflows are straight through. Flowmasters have metal baffles. I'm assuming that the drone has something to do with the metal baffles but if you drive your car any distance you will learn to hate them.

As to the original question, why would you want to go through the expense twice?
well the BBK X pipe and a cat back is gonna cost $1000, I can throw on 2 cherry bombs for like 80 bucks to have a nice rumble for the next year to 18 months... not really going thru the expense twice. Just wanna improve the exhaust from bone stock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Either do the cat-back now or don't. Waste of money to just put mufflers on that will get replaced by a cat-back.

Also no to using an x-pipe with a baffled muffler such as Flowmasters. That is just a nasty raspy sound. I always like the sound of a MAC Flowpath and a H-pipe. Magnaflow is real nice choice with the BBK X-pipe. Was my current setup until making car track only.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Do what is cheapest right now, cherry bombs, flowmaster knock-offs, etc just to get some sound out of it until you can afford the exhaust setup you want.

I actually love the sound of an X pipe and Flowmaster 44s...I'm weird though.

MY setup is longtubes, x pipe, super 44s dumped...not as droney as you might think...yes it is loud but not as droney as people think it would be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do what is cheapest right now, cherry bombs, flowmaster knock-offs, etc just to get some sound out of it until you can afford the exhaust setup you want.

I actually love the sound of an X pipe and Flowmaster 44s...I'm weird though.

cherry bombs are so cheap. I guess the vortex is the closest to a direct clamp in...

p.s. Skol Vikings! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My buddy has flowmasters welded into his stock catback, they were on the car when he bought it. He added a craigslist mac off road prochamber to it and it sounds spectacular.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I love the sound on x pipes and flowmasters on sn95s too but everyone has them. I had both 40s and super 44s on my 00 gt and 40s on my 02 gt. They dont make them like they used to. I liked them on my 02 gt but a manhole cover took out one of them so I had to go with another muffler so I tried m80s. I already had them on my 07 gt so I knew what the sound would be like but they actually sound better than on s197s. I highly recommend them.

If you are set on flowmasters Id buy thrush welded mufflers because they are pretty much the same thing because flowmasters patient ran out.

If you do want to go with flowmasters I would bu

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Ever consider Borla? they are expensive but the sound is worth the expense.

Reactions: akurma

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why not a muffler delete? My friend did that and the car sounds like a beast, and there isn't really any drone at all. He has a stock 03 with stock exhaust, and it only cost him about $80 a side.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I've had Flowmasters - probably every flowmaster made in their 40 series. I actually wrote a Noobs guide to flowmasters back in the day. Honestly - I am sick of the sound. The only chambered muffler I enjoyed was Flowpaths. I actually have a flowpath catback in my garage I need to get rid of as it's collecting dust. I just have no idea how to sell it as I deleted facebook and no one seems to use craigslist anymore LOL Where are you located? I'd give you a sweet deal.

If you're stuck on the idea of an X pipe - I'd go with M80's by Pypes. They are cheap enough, better then cherry bombs for sure, and at $57 a pop for stainless steel mufflers you cant go wrong. That way you can grow into the X. Flowmasters with an X sounds horrid. Been there - done that. Yuck. I personally hate X pipes as a whole to be honest. So raspy and absolutely no deepness to them.

Currently I run BBK LT's, BBK H pipe that I welded Magnaflow metallic high flow cats into (59956) and borla stingers. The sound is absolute sex and I wouldn't change it for the world. I have a VRS X pipe for long tubes collecting dust. I have a mac flowpath collecting dust. If the borla magically fell off my car I'd put the flowpaths back on - but to me the Stingers have a tone you really can't describe.

Anyway - I digress. To answer your original question, go with the M80's now to grow into the X pipe. Flowmasters are just so played out and ugh. I used to be a fan boy but realized I was short changing myself by being short sighted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had Flowmasters - probably every flowmaster made in their 40 series. I actually wrote a Noobs guide to flowmasters back in the day. Honestly - I am sick of the sound. The only chambered muffler I enjoyed was Flowpaths. I actually have a flowpath catback in my garage I need to get rid of as it's collecting dust. I just have no idea how to sell it as I deleted facebook and no one seems to use craigslist anymore LOL Where are you located? I'd give you a sweet deal.

If you're stuck on the idea of an X pipe - I'd go with M80's by Pypes. They are cheap enough, better then cherry bombs for sure, and at $57 a pop for stainless steel mufflers you cant go wrong. That way you can grow into the X. Flowmasters with an X sounds horrid. Been there - done that. Yuck. I personally hate X pipes as a whole to be honest. So raspy and absolutely no deepness to them.

Currently I run BBK LT's, BBK H pipe that I welded Magnaflow metallic high flow cats into (59956) and borla stingers. The sound is absolute sex and I wouldn't change it for the world. I have a VRS X pipe for long tubes collecting dust. I have a mac flowpath collecting dust. If the borla magically fell off my car I'd put the flowpaths back on - but to me the Stingers have a tone you really can't describe.

Anyway - I digress. To answer your original question, go with the M80's now to grow into the X pipe. Flowmasters are just so played out and ugh. I used to be a fan boy but realized I was short changing myself by being short sighted.
How do M80's or Glasspacks get installed without the offset? Wouldnt it change the tailpipe location?

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
How do M80's or Glasspacks get installed without the offset? Wouldnt it change the tailpipe location?
An exhaust shop would make custom bends for you. Check AM's website under customer photos. A lot of people have done this in the past. I've also known guys here on the forums in the past go from an off set muffler to a flow through. It might cost you extra due to it no longer being a straight cut an weld but bending required but it can be done.

I personally am a mandrel bent whore and hate crush bending with a passion. That's why I always buy full cat backs or get offset mufflers to replace offset mufflers, but it can be done. But ask first. I've seen a member post a shop denied him because of the custom bending needed.

I know it's a lot to consider. I mean at the end of the day what is your true budget and goal you're trying to achieve at this very moment? Hell you could go with (2) Thrush Welded mufflers and walk out a muffler shop $200 lighter, or less, in the wallet after install which are chinese knock offs of the Flowmaster Original 40 muffler but what are you trying to get?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I hate M-80s....To bassy, deep, droney etc...I'm not big fan of them at all.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
An exhaust shop would make custom bends for you. Check AM's website under customer photos. A lot of people have done this in the past. I've also known guys here on the forums in the past go from an off set muffler to a flow through. It might cost you extra due to it no longer being a straight cut an weld but bending required but it can be done.
My muffler shop found some Magnaflows that were both offset and straight through. There is a bend inside the muffler. I don't remember which one but Magnaflow makes several. Other companies my also make them.
https://www.magnaflow.com/automotive-performance/mufflers/straight-through/4-x-9-oval/products/

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think im just gonna go cheap since within 18 months ill be doing the whole exhaust. Gonna go with the Cherry Bomb Vortex 88100CB. Should be a near clamp in although they are about 2" longer than the stock muffler

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I think im just gonna go cheap since within 18 months ill be doing the whole exhaust. Gonna go with the Cherry Bomb Vortex 88100CB. Should be a near clamp in although they are about 2" longer than the stock muffler
That's not a muffler you hear about everyday. Well good luck! Cherry bomb actually bought out a company called imco and moved all the manufacturing overseas but kept the same designs. Hopefully you don't get bad welds prevalent in a lot of the Chinese knock off flow master mufflers

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts