Modded Mustang Forums banner

321 - 340 of 991 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Gathering up the parts for the rear disc brake swap. The biggest hurdle is getting a pair of cores to turn in when i buy the new calipers. I think I found a pair, I hopefully will pick them up tomorrow. If I don't have any cores to turn in I get dinged $90!!!

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Im getting the adapter plates from Shaun at streetortrack. My lazy ass just now got around to actually ordering them, the Cobra calipers are at the auto store, I'm hoping to pick them up tomorrow after I grab some cores from a shop.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #329

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
While digging through my old pics I found what I beleive to be my oil leak:

Untitled by Edgethis, on Flickr

notice the hole jsut behind the engine mount. That is for the factory dipstick on the explorer. I don't remember charging myself any labor hours to plug it......

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

What's all involved in modifying the master cylinder for 4 wheel disc?
Lol you know you wanna go ahead and do this while you have the brakes torn apart:baller:

Depends on which style master you have, on mine there is a large fitting on the front bowl. Dennis says I just need to remove that fitting, behind it should be a spring and ball, just remove those items and re-install the large fitting, and viola no more residual pressure valve (unless theres another one elsewhere)

Dennis states that you have to be careful and keep an eye on the fluid level as the front bowl is fairly small, disc brakes use alot of fluiod so until you have the system 1000% bled you need to keep a close eye on the level so you don't suck air in.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
That doesn't sound to terrible on the master cylinder. I'll be holding off on anymore major projects until after the holidays. Have to save for Christamas.

And I had the same oil leak. I ended up buying a cheap dipstick from autozone and filling it with black rtv sealant. Let it sit overnight to harden the cut ti down to just above the engine block so if i need to pull it I can. No leaks afeter 6k miles.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
Bam, picked up my calipers today, got em both with brackets for $90. Lots better then the $190 without cores. I was able to snag old calipers off a ford truck for $40.

Just gotta wait on the Bracket's from SoT, UPS hates me so they won't be delivered till Tuesday......

I am prolly gonna look at painting the calipers red. Advance Auto is ordering in a "kit" for me. We'll see how that turns out.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
We had a cold weather front come through so it wasn't really a good temp to paint, I still went ahead and laid a few coats on the calipers. I wish I would have used a primer first, but they didn't have special brake primer....prolly could've used engine paint. O well, heres how they look now, I'm hoping another coat or two might lighten them up.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Got a package today from SoT.

Everything is coming together nicely, just have to pick up some hard line and a few adapters.

I'll prolly go over the brackets and the calipers with another coat of red and then maybe clear. The plan is to do the rear disc swap this weekend, along with pulling the master/booster to modify for rear discs and also to drill the required hole for the cable clutch assembly.

321 - 340 of 991 Posts