Modded Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 991 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Scored a new water pump for my explorer motor. Only cost me $30 brand new with life time warranty. I plan to get a new alternator and new pulleys for the serpentine belt this weekend. Its coming along nicely.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I got a good deal on a new 1406 Edelbrock carb so I decided to swap intales and put eh 4 barrel on my motor. Removing teh old intake and carb went fairly smooth. Only real issue was I had a heck of a time pulling teh manifold and breaking teh gasket seal. It finally came off of course. here are some pics. I plan to install tomorrow.

2012-05-26_08-47-28_726.jpg by Edgethis, on Flickr

2012-05-26_08-47-38_46.jpg by Edgethis, on Flickr

2012-05-26_09-03-02_461.jpg by Edgethis, on Flickr

2012-05-26_10-44-31_236.jpg by Edgethis, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I got the intake on. went on smoothly.

2012-05-27_10-29-33_761.jpg by Edgethis, on Flickr

I had help cleaning everything up , too!

2012-05-27_10-25-17_211.jpg by Edgethis, on Flickr

Just have to get the thermostat housing on and plumb up all the ports/fittings. Had to get new bolts for the housing as the old ones were toast.

More pics to come!

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
looking good edge this. a little suggestion for you. if you are going to change your waterpump, that is the best time to clean up the timing cover and paint it, if you have not already done that, or do like I did, I have this little eastwood powdercoating kit that I love. I powdercoated the front cover. powdercoat is much more durable than paint, for those inevitable coolant leaks that seem to spring up lol.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Thanks for the tips. I would love to get a powder coating set up. I actually have a complete 5.0 roller motor from an Explorer that I plan to swap over once its rebuilt and put back together. Its all been cleaned to the bare metal and primed and painted. I plan a rebuild with maybe a slight stroke, aluminum heads and a cam.

Currently im looking into a T5 swap. If that comes together before my engine swap then I will just swap the front dress over to serpentine to use the 50 oz balancer. I plan to upgrade to a big block radiator setup so the hoses shouldn't be an issue there. Just gotta see which project comes together first.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I guess I am not sure I am understanding. you intend to possibly swap the 50 ounce imbalance harmonic balancer onto your early model engine? that will work if you use the proper flywheel, and if the rotating assembly is internally balanced. When I build an engine I always send the balancer and the flywheel with the rotating assembly and have it all balanced together. that is the best way to do it.

I guess if it is only temporary a little imbalance in the engine is ok for a while.

another question, is the waterpump you just bought standard or reverse rotation?

as far as the powdercoating setup, they are only about 100.00 now and I use mine a ton. got an old oven a guy was just wanting to get rid of and I powdercoat any little thing I can get in there, I also bought an IR lamp for bigger things but that was a bit pricey. anyway you are doing some great things to this car keep it up.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hey guys! Been awhile since I've updated this thread. Been out of town for awhile so not much progress on teh car.

I did however get a T5, unfortunately it was from a 4 cyl, but I did get it for next to free cause they didn't feel like lugging it back. I'll use it for a core or the guy said he may have another laying around thats a V8.

I did work on my motor a bit more. Now I just need to find a good machine shop to take over from here.

2012-07-04_16-11-35_144.jpg by Edgethis, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I dont have access to a welder so making an 8.8 fit is a bit out of my reach currently.

Sorry I haven't been updating this thread much. I have been stocking up on teh parts I need to redo my interior. CJponyparts has 20% sales every other month or so. Thats when I buy parts.

Currently I have new Tribar headlights coming. I cacn't wait. After that its LED tailights to update the lighting to match with todays tech. CJs has a sale that you get a $30 card with every $100 you spend. Basically like 30% off.

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
Lowe's and Home Depot I believe rent welders if you are needing one. Cheaper than buying one but you can get them from Harbor Freight for about $80 with a coupon. I've been looking at them but haven't gotten on yet. What are the tri bar headlights?

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
Oh that kind of tri bar :facepalm: I was thinking the Mustang emblem somehow on the headlight :lol Those look really good though. Can't wait to see them on when you get them in.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Got the new lights installed, gotta wait till dark to see how they work. They are clear, flat lenses instead of the factory frosted and domed lenses. Still glass though. They also use a standard bulb instead of the solid fixture. It seems to be much brighter but I wont know for sure till dusk/dark.

Here's a few pics.

Before:

Untitled by Edgethis, on Flickr

After:

Untitled by Edgethis, on Flickr

Only thing I would have done differently is went ahead and ordered new retaining rings. Both mine were broke and the local advance only had one. So the other is jury-rigged until they get another in on Monday.

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
They even look better not turned on. After seeing some pictures later when they can light up you might have just convinced me to get these eventually.

61 - 80 of 991 Posts