Modded Mustang Forums banner

81 - 100 of 991 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I spent some time today and a bit yesterday taking the old power assist cylinder off of my car. The set-up didnt work when I got the car and I didn't feel like repairing it knoing that eventually I'd like to swap to a rack and pinion.

It all came off real smoothly except for the damn stud that goes thru the drag link. I had to get a puller and really crank on it. When it finally gave, it shot the cylinder almost completely out from under the car!

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Not sure if anyone is following this, but I am gonna update it anyway.

I decided that I wanted to clean up the rear end. I got the GT Valance and the proper tips, however, my shop couldn't install the tips with the current spring shackles. I had planned to swap them anyway so I ordered them up and waited patiently for them to arrive.

This is what I was starting with: The pipes and shackles both hung below the original valance and jsut didn't look good IMHO so the modding began!

Untitled by Edgethis, on Flickr

This is the old shackle vs the new Scott Drake. I could tell this was going to lower the rear of the car.

I am glad I got these parts swapped becuase the rear looks so much cleaner now:

I then happened across a sweet deal so I began a new project:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I have been wanting to do a center cosole of some sort for awhile. I wanted teh factory style jsut becuase its pretty neat and of course its a harder to get option. However I was not going to buy the hard to find parts and hack them up, so I got just the parts I wanted and made the rest as I knew I wanted a CD Player. "Note: No hard to find, non-reproduced parts were hacked during this build."

I began with a flat sheet of steel from Lowes. After making a template from cardboard (thanks Coca-cola!), I began cutting the pice out of the steel. I have a cheapo jigsaw so it wasn't the prettiest cutting, however after grinding the edges it all turns out pretty decent, if not I can always go buy another $7 sheet.

I wasn't sure on if I wanted to paint this piece black or not or maybe just the edges. Either way I decided to get that chrome trim for dorrs and pu it around the edge. I think it looks nice and helps tie this piece in with the factory console. Here it is sitting in the car:

Now began the fun part! Adding the CD player. Cutting the hole for this was not as easy as I'd hoped. My jigsaw left some scrathes so I just brushed the whole piece with my sander to give it a nice finish. Make sure you measure well as my CD player rubs against the bottom of the dash. I may remake this piece and adjusta cordingly. I also plan to add a Tach and a few switches under the radio and then a trio of gauges above the player.

For those wondering, the bolts go into speed-nuts I installed on the factory housing. This way I can easily remove this plate with the console mounted firmly in the car.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
The rest of the console that moves the shifter and the trim around it is in the mail. I will post up some pictures when I get those installed as well as with the gauges.

Here today or tommorrow my adapters should be in for my fuel line. I am going to run a 3/8" steel line from ump to carb. I'll post a pic or two of that as well.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Here's another update. I had a few rust bubbles on the passenger side so I decided to sand them down and try to preserve what I could. I plan to have the entire car sanded and painted but that'll be awhile.

Here is what I started with on the passenger sail panel:

I sanded it down and noticed a couple small pockets that ll need filled:

Filled:

Also a spot on the wheel arch I sanded too:

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Figured I'd throw up some more pics so this thread loads even slower.

I replaced the rear speakers with some premium quailty Kickers

They sound great and weren't too expensive, plus they dropped right in. I plan to replace the package tray firly soo as well. I'm thinking of going Black with the tray and the carpet to tie in with the black headliner and then new blue seats and panels. I think it'd be a nice combo.

Here is a photo of todays project!

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,555 Posts
This is an awesome build up! Keep on posting, because I think I speak for everyone who has been following that we look forward to seeing the finished product.

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
That rear valence made a huge improvement :yes I don't normally like how they look when the shakles hang down so it looks great now. Nice work on that center console too.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Thanks guys! I got some new headlights bulbs to go in my housings, the ones from Scott Drake were some shady brand in an unmarked box...so Sylvania Silverstar Ultras here we go! Plus I got another headlight retaining ring since one of mine is broken. I also had my local Advance Auto parts price match a few bushings to CJs Pony price. The strut rod bushings alone went from $50.99 down to $20.55, hell yeah.

The only thing I don't like about the new valance is the tips. I have 2.5" pipes, but they had to be choked down a bit to mount those tips on. But the overall look is much better.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Ordered some new shocks for the front today, KYB Gas-a-just. Got em for like $29 a piece. Figure it'll be a nice upgrade over whatever is on there. Plus I get to use the fancy shock tower bolts I ordered awhile back from CJs.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I got the shocks in and installed, heres a few pics.

I took the tower covers off to sand and paint since they were covered in grime, plus I had new bolts to install. It was a pain putting the braces back on since the towers came in a bit from sitting a bit with no braces. Montecarlo bar is next on the list to be ordered once the sales start.

Heres the old shocks next to the new ones, not much but hey its a picture.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I decided to try and clean up my console install so I plled everything out to start. The mess of wires needs cleaned up and the shifter bucket for the console needs installed.

Here's another shot with shifter swapped and wiring cleaned up and also the trim piece around the shifter.

I need to get everything aligned so I can get the screws to actually mount the console to the floor, currently it is just sitting there. Though it doesn't seem to much around while driving these past few weeks with it.

I'm currently looking at ways to mount my tach on the radio faceplate I made. More pics to come!

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Ok guys. Instead of cutting a hole and mounting my tach since its designed to be mounted on a stand I made a bracket and mounted it to the side. I also put a couple coats of black and a shot of clear on my face plate.

What do you guys think?

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
I love it dude. It looks killer. I know you don't have a welder, but in the future I would weld studs in and use a nut to tighten down the center console plate (so the bolt heads dont show). Not sure if that makes sense.

I love that car though.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Well I planned to install my new alternator bracket from CFV Racing but had a bolt break in the process. Before the bad news heres a shot of the old vs new brackets.

I decided to go ahead and get a new alternator and voltage regulator since I was able to get the alt for only $25. I am still debating going to either a high output or a 3g in the future.

While removing the old bracket I had the lower mounting bolt near the hose break. I was able to remove the water pump and get the bolt out, but in the process I stabbed a hole in the radiator....by this time in the day I was pretty pi$$ed so I took a break and came back later.

I decided sicne the water pump was an orginal ford 60's casting that I might as well upgrade while its off, I've been thinking about it recently anyway. I have a High flow aluminum pump on order, should be in tomorrow.

As for the radiator I am debating between copper vs aluminum and 20" vs 24". 24" would be awesome but then I'd have to get/make brackets to hold it vs the flange mount of the 20", but its a far superior cooler then the 20" options as far as I've read. Then of course the copper vs aluminum debate. I want an aluminum radiator becuase they're lighter, they look freaking sweet, and I can get one for cheaper then a copper, I just have to wait awhile for it.

For now I jsut have to clean up this to get ready for the new pump.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Alright, todays morning update!
I had the radiator patched for $20, so hopefully that holds up until I decide on a new radiator. I have to wait another day as my new water pump still isn't in.

I recieved a new box in the mail! Can't wait to start installing these.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Ok, got the tails installed, heres a picture of the new LED taillight next to the original housing:

Here's a quick shot of the LED unit installed, looks much nicer, have to wait to turn them on, re-wiring some stuff.

I hope I changed out the correct flasher relay, the one I snagged was right under the steering column. We'll find out once I get the wiring done. The tail lights are very nicely made, I'm sure they are going to be leaps and bounds over the factory single bulb.

81 - 100 of 991 Posts