Modded Mustang Forums banner

141 - 160 of 991 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Alright, got a box in today from Shaun at Street or Track. It's my Shelby drop template so now I'm just waiting on the coil spring isolators from CJs and I'll look into bringing the nose down. Currently it sits like I've stuffed a dead body in the trunk.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I at least want to get as mant parts for EFI as i can, so when the time comes for a mahor rebuild i can stay carbed or go fuel injection. I have this extra motor so why not dress it up as a back up.

Also the car is being driven daily and driving a carbed motor in the winter sucks.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Alright. Not much has been going on lately with the coupe. Weather has been too bad to do aything with it.

I did get a few more parts in so hopefully here soon I'll be able to knock out the shelby drop.

I won't be able to do much else as I just found out that I am being moved. So I need to pay off some bills and get my house ready to sell.

Austin, TX here I come!

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Well I've been working a little here and there on the car. I jsut got a set of Mallory wires and autolite plugs. Had to replace the fuel pump because the old on was dumping fuel into my oil. I finally got around to installing my edelbrock inline filter to replace the cheap glass fuel filter I had on there. I also put the fuel pressurse guage on. Figured I had these things sitting around, might as well install them.

I still have to drill and install the top blts on my monte carlo bnar. I hope to do that today. I also took out the back seat to replace a winow regulator, i got that in and decided to strip and paint my interior quarterpanels shiny gloss black. I also found a deal on some sound-deadener so I ordered a pack to hopefully cover the area under the back seat and over the axle hump. I just hope its not junk, I didn't feel like springing for Dynamat right now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Car is looking sweet! Sorry to see the damage from the accident though. Odd ball things like that do happen but man does it ever have the ability to *^&% a person off to no end.

I remember you saying earlier in this thread that you didn't want to go with an electric fuel pump but you might consider it to help with the cold starting issues. I have some off brand electric pump on mine that the PO installed before I got the car. The way he wired it is questionable at best but I will say that it sure makes it easy to start the car in any condition with the aid of a simple mechanical choke.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like to be in control of how much fuel the motor is getting so I'm not a fan of the electric chokes. I do like the electric pump / manual choke combo and haven't had any issues with it.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Hmm, I called a local machine shop to check on having my heads rebuilt with new valve guides and such. They quoted me about 300 for the pair. I told them I still had to pull the heads so it'd be a bit. They called me back right away and said that they also had a set of GT40P heads that were fully rebuilt with new seats, guides, and springs. Also hot-tanked to clean then to look brand new. The guy never came to pick them up, the shop is willing to sell them to me for $350.

Now I need to see if I can find a decent set of headers to work with them before I commit to bying them. Leaning torwards MAC headers. Seems like a pretty sweet deal on these heads tho. Wha do you think?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Me personally...I would avoid the gt40p heads because of the clearance issues that they have. You might be able to do enough research to get a set of headers that will fit the first time around but it seems like the majority of people don't have that luck. It could quickly end up being a major headache just trying to run them.

I would either:

(a) have your current heads rebuilt if it's absolutely needed or the budget won't allow for anything above $3-350 for rebuild/purchase or

(b) look for a used set of AFR's or something of the like on the numerous sites (this site, ebay, cl, racingjunk, corral, etc). If budget isn't a major issue or you can find a way to go slightly above the $3-350ish + headers that you're currently looking at you can buy a set of used high-flow aluminum heads, cams, and headers for ballpark $1k. EDIT: This option may take a little more time but it can be done pretty easily.

If the current heads are in decent shape and money is tight I would go with option 2. More bang for your buck in the end :)

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Thanks guys, after doing some research I found out it was too big a hassle.

The heads have bigger chjambers so it'd drop my compression to about 8:1, lame

O well, I did find a shop that has some cheap off brand aluminum heads I might look at. May just save up and once I'm in Texas I'll find a new shop and get things done right.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
Ok, well I decided to replace the crappy factory auto shifter in my car since it almost killed me and messed the car up. I snagged a good deal on a new Hurst Pro-Matic 2.

I figured while installing a new shifter thats cable operated I might ass well move it back a bit so its easier to reach. I made plate to cover the existing hole and am using that plate to drill the 1&1/2" hole for the cable and grommet to go through.

Untitled by Edgethis, on Flickr

Also since I have the car in the shop I'm going to install the sound deadener I got under the rear seat. Its super cheap but I only paid like $15 for the roll. It'll do until I have money set aside for Dynamat.

Pics to come soon!

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Alright. got the shifter mounted, took forever to adjust. The bracket in the kit that mounts to the C4 servo cover was worthless, wouldn't allow adjustment far enough to even allow the cable to reach linkage. I made a few new holes in it and the bracket lined right up lol.

I'm going to try and begin fabbing up the base for the new console. My camera is messing up right now but I have some pics to upload as soon as I can.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
The shifter seems to be working great so far. i really do like being able to ratchet thru the gears.

I have been busy at work so I haven't had a chance to get the new console finished yet but it's moving along steadily. Dang sander went out on me so I had to get another one.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Ok, I got teh console mostly assembled, still have to make a face plate for the radio. I picked up a set of Kicker 6" speakers for the sides. I also found the local fabric store has rolls of black vinyl to cover the console in.

Found a potential buyer for my old factory console. Selling that should help me break even on building this console.

141 - 160 of 991 Posts