Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to the site, but im looking for some opinions on build info. i have a 351 swapped mustang that im looking to turbo on a small budget. not looking for a huge amount of hp mainly because of the fact of the low budget. to start off with what what heads?? i have heard of running gt40's does ok?? true or should i just stick with stockers? also what kind of boost can a stock 351w handle?? i already have a f303 cam in it, full msd with timimng control. its not efi. which brings the question of carb selection. lots of questions. all info apprecated.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Gt40 is better then stock but it will still hold a 351 back. Check out ON3 turbo set ups, they seem to be good and reasonably priced. i've heard that 351 blocks can Handel around 700 HP not sure though

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
700 for '75 and newer from what I've read, and 800 for '74 and older. But just like anything else... good rotating assembly, good balance on it, and not revving past the recommendations of said parts will help it live longer.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I've never been able to break a 351 block, and have never met anyone who has, but I hear those hp numbers all the time and they sound reasonable.
A stock 351 shortblock would be ok for turbo boost, as it is low compression and very tough set of rods and crank. The pistons are hypereutectic, so make sure to keep the tune sane. as for carb and boost, that's a topic I stay clear of as I don't have any practical experience other than helping to recommend jet changes on the dyno. Your distributor should be ok, but what do you mean by full msd? What kind of msd box is it? Probably a great idea to get at least a BTM module for your msd or if it's a digital 7 or a programmable AL, you can set it up for boost retard. GT40 or P heads are better than stock if you can pick them up on the cheap, they are not a good choice for the windsor, but they will fit and provide an improvement of sorts over the factory windsor heads.

·
Registered
176 Posts
hey guys im new to the site, but im looking for some opinions on build info. i have a 351 swapped mustang that im looking to turbo on a small budget. not looking for a huge amount of hp mainly because of the fact of the low budget. to start off with what what heads?? i have heard of running gt40's does ok?? true or should i just stick with stockers? also what kind of boost can a stock 351w handle?? i already have a f303 cam in it, full msd with timimng control. its not efi. which brings the question of carb selection. lots of questions. all info apprecated.

any turbo carb for a 351 should work fine with the blow through setup. as for heads i like the ford racing gt40 x aluminum heads. they flow good and dont cost too much and can be modified to flow even better easily. i run gt40x heads, a trick flow stage 2 cam and a port matched 95 cobra upper and lower intakes on my efi 302 with stock bore and stroke and made 526rwhp @6psi @5500rpm with my t67 single turbo setup. your 351 based turbo setup should bring atleast that much hp with a good set of heads and a high flowing intake with ease. good luck on the build. keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts