Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after many months and arguments with Borla reps, the newer s type axlebacks are actually quieter than previous s types. Actually admitted by a Borla rep. I love Borla and the sound, but the older sound is what im going for on a 3v.

The question I have, is which way I should weld my mufflers in? I currently have borla axlebacks. Not sure if I want to mid mount my new mufflers or just swap mufflers into axle back. Need opinions.

Current borlas aren't quite the sound I want or volume. I don't need references on other exhaust. Loudmouths are to loud. I have an o/r x currently and soon im doing headers

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you're planning on doing headers I suggest doing them first as the entire sound will change with those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that it will change. Obviously the mufflers is the base of all your sound. Im just wandering if axle back style is gonna make the mufflers sound like garbage or not

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ok hold on. So you have borla's on already, and you want to weld another set of borlas in as an option?

Thats dumb. Are your current borlas the stingers, or their touring version?

Keep the borlas out back, and buy a set of resonators to weld in before the axle. It'll cost you less than $100, no use in paying the outrageous cost of axle back mufflers to hack them up and use them as a resonator.

Also for headers, ARH all the way!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All pass onarh anyday, not my cup of tea. Secondly yes, I have the stingers and like I said previously they sound good but not happy with them. They sound as quiet as the touring version for the 99-04 . The atak, not impressed either. The s type was changed for the 2005 to present mustangs. So maybe stupid in your eyes but its not 100% what I wanted. They never livened up like I expected. Borla used more insulation on newer model mufflers to quiet the systems.

The volume is the problem

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
I would wait till you put your headers in. Otherwise, if you weld some mufflers or resonators into your mid pipe, you'll just have to cut them out and reweld them into your new mid pipe.

If you're looking for a deeper throatier old school sound, then mid mufflers are the way to go. Our rear mounted muffler set up is never going to give you that sound. You need some pipe after the mufflers to really deepen the tone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headers will come when I do the motor. If I mid mount, it will be right before axle by fuel tank but not the mid pipe. There is a video link ill post up. With borla, I do believe no matter where you'll put them the exhaust will be deep and throaty. Im just thinking that with axle back it will possibly be to distorted. The new mufflers from borla are straight through pro xr1 stingers like on 03-04 cobras.

Mufflers will be in a few days. Gotta decide or go trial and error

2006 Mustang GT (Mid-Mounted Borla Stingers) Pt.1 - YouTube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts