Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my borla s-type catback for my 2011 GT. After getting everything loosened and unbolted, I went to install the x-pipe and it would not match up to the front pipes with the catalytic converters...and those pipes don't move much. The only bolts I could find to loosen are way up at the headers and there's no way I'm going to try to get to those with just a set of floor ramps.

The stock h-pipe has some type of flex connector that allows it to bend in and out, but the x-pipe of course is solid. Anyone heard of of this problem? I really wanted to install it my self since it's all bolt-on, but might have to take it to a muffler shop and get them to bend it?

I emailed Borla a couple of days ago, but have not heard a word from them. I would have thought that paying this much money, it would have been a perfect fit.

Thanks,
Austin

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's weird. My bassani x-pipe bolted right up. No problems. I used a lift so it was allot easier then using floor jacks

·
Registered
105 Posts
When you mention your headers I'm assuming you have the factory headers? If that is the case it should bolt right up. Paying that much, forget e-mailing Borla I would call them. Also double check the part# to ensure they sent you the correct exhaust.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The x-pipe is about 1/2" too narrow. I got my wife under the car with me to try again and pull the front pipe with the catalytic converters inward, but it does not budge much at all. I thought that it would/should just slip right on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It should bolt right up if you have the factory headers and cats, you should not have to tug and pull at all. Did you verify the part number? If the part number is correct it very well could be a bad part. Again I would call Borla. Worst case scenerio they swap out the x-pipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Austin, i'm new here but i live in the same area, I have been looking into Borla exhausts but I would love to hear them in person before I buy them. Any chance I could listen to your car?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
491 Posts
The x-pipe is about 1/2" too narrow. I got my wife under the car with me to try again and pull the front pipe with the catalytic converters inward, but it does not budge much at all. I thought that it would/should just slip right on.
Is it possible you purchased or were accidentally shipped the V6 X-pipe in place of the GT one?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Austin, i'm new here but i live in the same area, I have been looking into Borla exhausts but I would love to hear them in person before I buy them. Any chance I could listen to your car?
Thanks in advance
Yeah, sure. I would have loved to hear it in person before buying mine, but the youtube videos on the borla are very close to capturing the true sound. Just let me know when/where you want to meet up...I live in the Irmo area.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was mistaken and it was too wide instead of narrow. Borla shipped me another x-pipe and it was still too wide but closer. I finally just said screw it and got it lined up as close as possible and wrapped a hammer in a t-shirt and gave it a couple of good hard knocks. I hate that I had to do this for a Borla exhaust that is supposed to be the highest quality.

Also, the pipes that go over the axle and into the axleback are not the best either. The place where they meet is not wide enough for the clamp to make a tight connection. I had to angle the clamp as much as possible just to get it to make a secure clamp.

The x-pipe actually quieted the exhaust down a bit and made it more smoother. There was a lot of popping with the h-pipe and lack of resonators, but this has decreased a little with the x-pipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, sure. I would have loved to hear it in person before buying mine, but the youtube videos on the borla are very close to capturing the true sound. Just let me know when/where you want to meet up...I live in the Irmo area.
Thanks man, anyday after work would be fine or weekends too. Just let me know a good day for you

·
Registered
105 Posts
^ +1. Something is very wrong. Borla is not known for fitment issues and if one is found they correct it no questions asked. If you’re having multiple fitment issues as 908ssp said, did you loosen everything up before attempting to install it or are you bolting each piece up as you install it? Everything your replacing should be loosened, removed and in reverse order install all new pieces loose (without tightening) and once everything is in place, align it and tighten it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had everything loosened except for the pipes with the cats on that connect to the midpipe. I didn't think I would have to loosen those and have heard they are hard to get to.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just installed my s -type for the 2011 stang gt and I had this same exact problem. The x-pipe would not line up. We had pry bars and people pushing and pulling to get the xpipe to line up. What we had to do was losen the left cat and move it so we can eventually get the xpipe on.

Now the major issue I have is the tips (Muffler + tip) doesn't line up. We have the clamps as tight as they can go to try to hold them in place and there is soo much free play it's unbelieveable. The right exhaust tips bounces on the freaking bumper. I had to go out and buy bailing wire to hold the right tip from moving to the right to hold it in place until borla tells me what they are going to do on monday. I called down and they informed me I shouldn't have had this issue. If this cant be fixed I will be forced to return my borla as it doesn't fit :( Very sad because I love the sound. I'll get some pictures up so you guys can see how it looks.. Again it's unbelievable that I can move the tips roughly 2 inches in any direction. That is how loose it fits. Again, clamps are as tight as it gets. The mechanic I use recommended that borla needs to look at their clamps as it seem the oem clams are too big

1 - 16 of 16 Posts