Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some searching, knowing that there is an alleged cam difference I found this:

2012 Boss Engine Specs:
ENGINE
Type: High-performance 5.0-liter, four-valve Ti-VCT V8
Manufacturing location: Windsor (Ontario) Engine Plant
Configuration: Aluminum block and heads
Intake manifold: Composite shell-welded with runner pack
Exhaust manifold: Stainless steel tubular headers, quad exhaust tips
Redline: 7,500 rpm
Valvetrain: DOHC, four valves per cylinder, variable intake, variable camshaft timing
Valve diameter/lift (mm): Intake 37/12, exhaust 31/11
Ti-VCT operating range: 50 degrees for both intake and exhaust
Pistons: Forged aluminum
Connecting rods: Forged steel

Ignition: High-energy coil-on-plug
Bore x stroke: 3.63 x 3.65-in./92.2 x 92.7-mm
Displacement: 302 cu. in./4,951 cc
Compression ratio: 11.0:1
Engine control system: PCM
Horsepower: 444
Horsepower per liter: 88.8
Torque: 380 lb.-ft.
Required fuel: 87 octane (premium fuel recommended)
Fuel capacity: 16 gallons
Fuel delivery: Sequential mechanical returnless
Oil capacity: 8.5 quarts with filter (10,000-mile service interval)

2011 5.0 Engine Specs
ENGINE
Type: 5.0L 4V Ti-VCT V-8
Manufacturing location: Essex Engine, Windsor, Ontario
Configuration: Aluminum block and heads
Intake manifold: Composite shell-welded with runner pack
Exhaust manifold: Stainless steel tubular headers
Redline: 7,000 rpm
Valvetrain: DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, variable intake, variable camshaft timing
Valve diameter/lift: (mm) Intake: 37/12; Exhaust: 31/11
Ti-VCT operating range: 50 degrees for both intake and exhaust
Pistons: Cast aluminum
Connecting rods: Forged steel

Ignition: High-energy coil-on-plug
Bore x stroke: 3.63 in x 3.65 in/92.2 mm x 92.7 mm
Displacement: 302 cu. in./4,951 cc
Compression ratio: 11.0:1 (est.)
Engine control system: PCM
Horsepower: 412 @ 6,500 rpm (est.)
Horsepower per liter: 82.4
Torque: 390 lb.-ft. @ 4,250 rpm (est.)
Recommended fuel: 91 octane (unleaded 87 octane minimum)
Fuel capacity: 16 gallons
Fuel delivery: Sequential mechanical returnless
Oil capacity: 8 quarts with filter (10,000-mile service interval)

Now take note on the things that caught my eye, they are bolded. So ford claims the boss has different cams, and they also have a different part number from blueoval industires Exhaust Cams and in the link says the lift is 2mm more, but in the engine specs says the lift is the same between the 2 motors. Other things that I noted, I thought the Boss was supposed to have different rods, both listed as forged steel. These could still very well be different, just seeing them listed as the same material raised my eyebrow. I know the heads are p&p'd but quite frankly don't see the over 10k difference in price between the Boss and a regular base GT with a 3.73 and mt82 in it. Intake Manifold: $450, Suspension Upgrades: $1500 (I guessed based on about what I've spent). Rims/Tires: $1000, by my math you're not even close to what the Boss costs, let's go ahead and throw a tuner in there $450, still not close and chances are you've got a car that's probably FASTER than the Boss. Sorry if I hurt somebody's feelings on this but the Boss is just not worth the coin. Collector status is cool, but for guys that want to go fast, save your money, buy a regular GT and mod the hell out of it. I'm hitting the track for the first time, weather provided, next weekend. Boss runs what a 12.4 stock? Now I've got a benchmark to shoot for...

In my opinion the Boss is like the Saleens, Roushes and other aftermarket cars. Overpriced and can be built from a regular 5.0 to outperform their big named counterparts for a fraction of the money spent on the car itself. It's another "Me Too" car...everyone wants one just to say they have one, the real modding enthusiasts will buy the regular joe Mustang GT and mod it to their liking.

Wow, am I glad I got all that off my chest.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Doesnt the boss have electronically adjustable suspension/throttle map/steering/exhaust/traction control via that 'track key'? Not to mention all of it was designed by ford engineers to work together. Dont get me wrong, i didnt see fit to buy a boss, but if i had the extra coin, and one was available (i hate waiting lol) i wouldnt have turned up my nose at it. Where did you source this information from?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Doesnt the boss have electronically adjustable suspension/throttle map/steering/exhaust/traction control via that 'track key'? Not to mention all of it was designed by ford engineers to work together. Dont get me wrong, i didnt see fit to buy a boss, but if i had the extra coin, and one was available (i hate waiting lol) i wouldnt have turned up my nose at it. Where did you source this information from?
I believe the "track Key" is nothing more then a stored tune thats accessed when you use the key. So essentially its like having a hand held tuner.

I agree with the op here. It's not worth the extra coin. For 10k you could take a stock 5.0 and mod it for exactly what you want it to do and have a much better car. Of course without the boss name but whatever lol.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
The boss ran better times For motor trend than the Audi R8..... It's being quickly hailed as "The Best Mustang Ever Built"

It is now and will be in 25 years, Worth every penny.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The boss ran better times For motor trend than the Audi R8..... It's being quickly hailed as "The Best Mustang Ever Built"

It is now and will be in 25 years, Worth every penny.
Not saying that it isn't the best Mustang ever built..... by Ford. I do agree that for the price difference you can make a car from the base GT that will out perform the Boss 302, but you sure as hell wont still have a factory warranty.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very true, already talked with a few Boss and LS owners and not one of them regrets it.

I prefer to mod a car myself, so it wouldn't have been worth it to me personally
This was my point. Factory warranty is subjective to the dealer. If you have an amazing relationship with your Service Center Manager and all the service writers and have tuned their personal vehicles...they tend to let a few things slide.

I'm not saying the Boss is a bad car, just saying I will classify it with the Saleen and the Roush...bought by people that have more money than car skills as a general rule. There are the select few out there that know cars, and those people probably will buy the Boss and put it in the garage under a car cover for the next 25 years, as mentioned already, and let it collect dust, and not brake and road, just normal dust. It's truly a pity that this will happen to these cars. They are designed and built to be driven and raced. To park them and not drive them as often as possible is a waste of a vehicle.

The stats were on a Ford media site.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Being a Ford tech, I can also tell you a few differences. The Boss engine deletes the piston cooling jets from the 5.0 engine. And even though the connecting rods are both forged steel, the Boss ones are a different design. And a quick check with my parts department guy showed several other part number differences. Including the exhast cams.

As far as buying a Boss? I have several friends that will buy one simply because of the connection to automotive history. I bought my Bullitt because of the connection tot he movie, which was my father's favorite Saturday afternoon flick before he passed. It was more of as "healing" adventure for me. But some will buy the Boss because, it is a Boss.

I ordered a 5.0 with 3.73s and the Brembos because I felt like it would be the best foundation for a great car I could build. And I bet it will be great fun. When it gets here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do remember looking at one of the original Boss 302 specs showing it with same lift/duration cams, they just had wider runners(might be mistaken on what was wider) in the cam.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
if i had the money!

i'd take the boss over a base 5.0 any day of the week...sure, you could spend a bunch of money to be LIKE a boss.....or you could actually own a boss and be recognized as owning a true beast!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
This was my point. Factory warranty is subjective to the dealer. If you have an amazing relationship with your Service Center Manager and all the service writers and have tuned their personal vehicles...they tend to let a few things slide.

I'm not saying the Boss is a bad car, just saying I will classify it with the Saleen and the Roush...bought by people that have more money than car skills as a general rule.

or bought by someone who wants to own a badass ride!

you can go ahead and spend all your money to be like a boss...but your still going to be just a GT!

people who don't have any car sense but have the money would probably jump on a gt500 before they would a boss! people who buy the boss know its history, know cars and want to own a little piece of history!

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Don't forget, the Boss owns the GT500 on the road coarse. And is marginally slower than it in the 1/4. Guess it would boil down to high-revving N/A or Blown Brute Force?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm trying to be like a boss at all. You misinterpret. I'm building a badass straight line car primarily. It will be able to handle, but only as a side effect. Thanks for playing though.

Bullit's pov makes the MOST sense out of all. Dad's fav car. Although the boss being marginally slower is due to the **** tires that are on the GT500, let's go ahead and throw radials at minimum on all 3 v8 mustangs and see what happens. Why would for eliminate the cooling jets is kind of baffling. I know valves are sodium filled blah blah blah, but really, is there anything on the intake side other than the heads that constitutes the price tag on this thing?

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Not really. And after looking through the buildup of a Boss 302 engine (from the Ford WSM) it does include an engine oil cooler, where the regular 5.0 does not. That coupled with the oil it uses, may mean that piston cooling jets were not necissary.

As for the "quick" reference, what do you think a Stock GT500/Boss/GT would run 1/4 mile with the same tires on each, all bone stock? I'll even give you a 5 run average. Yes, I bet the GT500 will be quickest. It should. If it wasn't it might bring back the old argument from the 80's when the GNX was quicker than the Vette. (just showing my age a bit here)

Would I buy a boss? Heck yea. My boss at work even told me I could order one exactly the way I want. Did I want the note? Nope. That is why I am buying a GT premium, and modding it the way I want with the savings.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm trying to be like a boss at all. You misinterpret. I'm building a badass straight line car primarily. It will be able to handle, but only as a side effect. Thanks for playing though.

Bullit's pov makes the MOST sense out of all. Dad's fav car. Although the boss being marginally slower is due to the **** tires that are on the GT500, let's go ahead and throw radials at minimum on all 3 v8 mustangs and see what happens. Why would for eliminate the cooling jets is kind of baffling. I know valves are sodium filled blah blah blah, but really, is there anything on the intake side other than the heads that constitutes the price tag on this thing?
well for people who can afford the boss...hey can probably afford f/i and all the fun stuff your doing to your 11'...

so not only will it be faster on the track...it will be faster on the 1/4

i mean you don't think it's worth money, but that just means you don't care about the history of the boss, nor do you car about setting yourself apart from every other mustang...any guy with a 5.0 can slap on f/i, ect. but they will still just be another gt that will go down and down in market price, where the boss will retain it's value, and who knows? even go up!

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Try telling that argument to other "limited production" cars. When the Bullitt was intoduced, it was "suposed" to keep value. Now ask me how much mine is worth......(it's under $10k)

I know, the Bullitt is no Boss or Mach 1 from a historical point. But I bet there will be more Bosses built than '01 Bullitts...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Try telling that argument to other "limited production" cars. When the Bullitt was intoduced, it was "suposed" to keep value. Now ask me how much mine is worth......(it's under $10k)

I know, the Bullitt is no Boss or Mach 1 from a historical point. But I bet there will be more Bosses built than '01 Bullitts...
imo, the boss has more history behind it!

true, no one can tell what it will be worth down the road!

·
Registered
119 Posts
imo, the boss has more history behind it!

true, no one can tell what it will be worth down the road!
I can tell you the value won't go up for a very long time if at all. There are too many collectors buying them up and turning them into garage queens. The reason the old ones became as rare as they are today is because no one thought they would be worth money and most of them got the crap beat out of them.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I think it boils down to the type of person you are.......

Are you the guy who wants to take that 2012 bone stock boss to a car show with your wife and kids 10 years down the road with 30k miles on it and keep it the rest of your life????

Or

Are you the guy that buys a 2011 5.0 and slaps a procharger on it and blows the doors off every car you can line up next to for the next 5 years and when its finally paid off you gut the motherfucker, throw a cage in it, and get down to business :D

I personally like to mod my cars, If I had a bigger budget I'd buy a boss....... and then mod the hell out of it as well lol. But I can't justify spending that kind of money to eventually mod it the same way I would a base model GT.

Tit for tat though. I'm sure the boss will retain its value more then your base model 5.0 will but if that doesn't really matter to you then who cares.

"i mean you don't think it's worth money, but that just means you don't care about the history of the boss, nor do you car about setting yourself apart from every other mustang...any guy with a 5.0 can slap on f/i, ect. but they will still just be another gt that will go down and down in market price, where the boss will retain it's value, and who knows? even go up! "

I don't understand your argument here I guess. I mean any guy with 50k can stroll down to the dealership and buy a Boss. A lot of people take pride in the fact that they mod and do the work on there cars..... make it there own car, not something you can buy on the lot and put a key in and go. 99% of the people who buy mustangs buy them because there great cars and there is a huge aftermarket following so you can literally make your mustang your own.... mod it however you want to whatever purpose and to your intent.
So when you say any guy can buy a 5.0 and slap on some f/i I guess that just kind of seems stupid to me. Because literally anyone can go and buy a Boss.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts