Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading a lot about the new Boss 302. I was planning on spending money on putting a bunch of cool **** on my 98'. Aside from a new paint job, interior overhaul, and new exhaust system I'm still going to to do for the 98', I think I'm going to buy the new Boss instead. It was a tough decision between buying an engagement ring/paying for a wedding and a Boss, but the car came out on top by a nose (good thing she didn't know I was planning to buy a ring).

What I'm really trying to get at here is is there anything I should be concerned about with this car that anyone knows about? Everything I have read about it has been top-notch, but that concerns me a little bit. Could it be overrated? Also, does anyone know if it's worth spending the extra cash on the Laguna Seca model? I dont know if 45 horses and no back seat is worth the extra money, but it still would be cool as hell.

So, I'm just looking for opinions and advice before making any definite decisions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
the boss and laguna seca both seem really cool. I'm a cheap ass however so I'd get a plain jain 5.0 and modd it all to hell the way I wanted. I know you'd loose out on warranty stuff but even if I got the seca I'd still mod it so........

But its your money in the end brother. Go get some prices from a dealer and see what you think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my opinion its not worth the money over a GT premium. You could take the 8 grand you save and mod the car to be better then the boss. The record aeats are nice though ivsat in them yesterday but the dealer also had a 11k mark up on the car. Suspension is the main benifit going to the boss but that could be easily upgraded to be better then the stock boss. Also if you never plan to take the car to a road course the suspension wont be used to its potential.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
the boss and laguna seca both seem really cool. I'm a cheap ass however so I'd get a plain jain 5.0 and modd it all to hell the way I wanted. I know you'd loose out on warranty stuff but even if I got the seca I'd still mod it so........

But its your money in the end brother. Go get some prices from a dealer and see what you think.
Yeah, what he said. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
The boss still has the same garbage trans as the GT. Google MT-82 Problems Mustang.....and youll prob think twice about spending 45-60k for a boss

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was looking HARD at Boss's the past couple weeks. Problem with 'em is they're marked up anywhere between $5-$10k(I ran a nationwide search on Auto Trader), and the Laguna +$30k or more. I also checked in to Ford's planned production of the Boss, and found that there's no end in sight. Maybe with them only producing 750 Laguna's, they'll be holding value, but if you look at the recent Shelby's as a benchmark, dealers around here at least have stopped marking them up due to supply meeting(or even exceeding) demand, so I don't see these things matching their ancestors as far as collect-ability. IIRC, something like only 2800 original Boss 302's were made, and this year alone they're making 4,000.
I was just looking for a good base to build a good track day car out of, so when I compared spending $30k for a '12 base GT with Brembo's and the limited slip 3.73's vs. another $18k to get another 30hp, suspension that is only 5-way adjustable and not re-valvable, a torsion helical diff and some neat graphics(the 'track key' won't be released here until/unless CARB okay's it), I nabbed the GT quickly before I did something stupid. I figure for another $5k I'll have a really good chassis/suspension set up, lighter wheels, and another 30 or so hp that'll leave any stock Boss in the weeds at the track.
Flipside to all this is, give it 'til the end of the summer for all the dealers to get their stock, the usual un-winds and bring-backs to take place, and the 'wow' factor to die down on the Boss's, and I bet you'll be able to get one for under MSRP.
Even though my brain told me the 'smart' thing to do was get a base GT and build it, I still woulda ponied up $43k for a Boss. :eek:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would say save yourself some money and get a GT with the brembo's and 3.73's and mod the hell out of it. A good cai, the boss 302 intake manifold, a tune and a less restrictive exhaust should net somewhere around 420 hp at the tires. Plus it's always more fun and more impressive to build it over buying it already built.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'll take my base GT w/ 3.73's over a Boss any day of the week. Aside from being entirely too overpriced my car ALREADY outperforms one in a straight line at least.

The problem isn't with the trans...it's the clutch. Replace with a good aftermarket one and all your worries go by the wayside.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'll take my base GT w/ 3.73's over a Boss any day of the week. Aside from being entirely too overpriced my car ALREADY outperforms one in a straight line at least.

The problem isn't with the trans...it's the clutch. Replace with a good aftermarket one and all your worries go by the wayside.
Not true. Go look on some other boards. My fifth gear went out, They replaced the tranny and put in my Mcleod RXT at the same time. My stock clutch had no wear, dowel pins were tight. The new tranny is still notchy, still doesnt like 3rd gear above 5k. Oh, and all this happened at 4k miles. I have 4800 now......and this is not an isolated occurance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts