Modded Mustang Forums banner

BOSS INTAKE WORTH IT ARE NOT

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  na svt 
#1 ·
hey guys i been thanking about getting the boss intack manifold for my car. but wondering if the 544$ price is work spending on it . an also wondering how much hp is being made on the gt with the boss intake manifold an a good tune with a full kooks exshust.. an info would help... thanks

#4 ·
^ This. Normally, I'm not one of those assholes who says search something instead of giving someone an answer but there are hundreds of threads about the Boss intake on here so just use the search button.

#7 ·
Dude that's a ****ing creapy avi :lol
I didn't do it :lol

You missed out last night man. Zip did my avi, my username, and xkape's avi. It was hilarious :lmao

#3 ·
#9 ·
I don't think they are worth it. I'm sure it's different for every car but had two friends (both 5.0s) with two diff mods and the guy WITHOUT the boss intake put down more than the one with the intake mani

The one that put down 400 to the wheels had offroad x pipe/bama tune/jlt cold air intake

The one that put down like 384ish had bama tune/roush axleback/intake/boss intake mani

I was actually really surprised because on AM it'll say it'll add up to 50 rwhp but you gotta have the right mods and I see lots of people selling it after buying it on ebay

#10 ·
So you are taking a dyno number as "proof" it doesn't work? How about other differences in each car like wheel/tire size, gear, etc... DO NOT live and die by dyno numbers.

I have owned both the M6 and A6 versions of the 5.0 and I saw gains with the Boss intake on both my cars. Some out there will claim no gain or a loss in ET at the track including some tuners/shops. I can tell you from first hand experience it works.

The info AM has posted directly relates to RPM. There is not any HP gain between the stock intake and the Boss intake. The proper way to describe the gains is the Boss intake will make the same power at high RPM from ~6.800 to ~7,800. The stock intake makes it's peak around 6,800 and begins to taper off sharply from there. What this translates into is at 7,600+ the Boss intake is ~50WHP above the stock intake in power. It hasn't made any more peak power however it hasn't tapered off.

At the track this translates to gains when the car is launched and shifted properly. This doesn't include the supporting mods necessary to see the full potential. You aren't going to launch a stock car on 28" slicks at 6K+ and it survive very many passes (M6).

That said, the stock intake manifold is the best option for 98%. Being successful with the Boss intake at the track isn't as simple as bolting it on. You have to include the supporting mods and be willing to wind the motor to 7.600+. This is why the 98% who bolt it on expecting to see huge gains at the track fail.

#16 ·
Here is my thing with it and always has been. A lot of guys complain about the small amount lost down low but when do you ever use down low power? If you race then you're gonna wanna wind this thing out as much as you can (safely). The boss manifold allows you to raise the limiter and let the engine eat.

Of course, as mentioned several times there are a ton of threads about this and many different opinions. This is just mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.