Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boss oil cooler has been sitting in my garage for the past 6 months. i was going to have one of my guys install it last oil change (even got the giant allen socket), but got cold feet when i heard you should also put in the boss radiator (fan kicks in more frequently on the smaller stocker).

what do you guys think? is the oil cooler worth installing with the stock radiator? the one thing really holding me back is i reckon it will take longer for the engine to warm up in the winter.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
First off, :welcome

Secondly, I ran the Boss oil cooler for a complete Arkansas summer (100*+ temps and 95+% humidity for 30+ days solid) on the stock radiator on my car (driven, well, hard) with no noticable fan usage.

As for warming up- I can let it idle for 10 minutes, and it's warm.

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
i have the cooler and havent noticed any excessive fans going.... then again, im in so-cal.... but its pretty cold here in the morning and i let it idle for about 2 mins at the most... these cars HATE cold starts!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, gents. i think i'll install it next oil change. in the meantime, i need to be more patient letting my car warm up on the way home from work as i'm missing out on two nice on ramps.

i know they're bean counters, but i'm still a little surprised fomoco didn't include an oil cooler for the gt's out the door. my wife's flex even has one.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Make sure to install the coolant connections to the cooler before you install it, otherwise you will be taking it back off.

Does the Flex have the EcoBoost engine? If so, I can see why.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure to install the coolant connections to the cooler before you install it, otherwise you will be taking it back off.

Does the Flex have the EcoBoost engine? If so, I can see why.
so hook up the quick connectors before scewing the cooler into the block? will do and thanks for the tip.

the flex has the na 3.5 engine (too cheap to give my wife boost and awd) but i think it's part of the towing package (transmission cooler too). the flex oil cooler and connectors look exactly like the boss unit which made me sad. same oil filter too. :(

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Yeah, with the towing package, it's added. But i do think an oil cooler should have been a must from the get go. I meen, who is going to drive the ir 5.0 like a sane human being?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was naive to think it was standard issue for a performance car. my gen 1 mazdaspeed3 (everything said fomoco under the hood) had one stock but the bean counters still prevailed by eliminating the low tone horn despite having a bracket for one right next to the high tone. i felt like ricky martin honking that thing.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
But you didn't feel like Mr Martin driving it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But you didn't feel like Mr Martin driving it?
i had a gen1 which was before the genpu restyle geared towards women and m4m. car handled extremely well for fwd, 40-120 was a blast (300 hp / 326 ft-lb / 3200 lbs), but launching at a dig was no fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts