Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an engine with regular oil-changes, essentially stock and indicating high oi-pressure it's entire life, what kind of life-span can one expect?

I ask b/c my car has high (165,000) miles on it and I bent a valve. Planning to get away with just new heads as the bottom-end seems tight.

Thoughts?

I know from reading there are quite a few members who know these motors well and would appreciate some input.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The engines will last a while but if you bent a valve you might as well redo the bottom end with your situation anyway. It would be much better for the long run.

54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume it's bent, only b/c it no longer moves! I was doing intake swap and apparently something scraped off and into the intake port on the #1 cylinder as I was removing the intake. I have a mechanic friend with an increadibly expensive camera system that we snaked into the combustion chamber. You can see some debris keeping the valve from seating, and as I said it doesn't move. The piston shows no damage, so I'm not to concerned about the bottom end (piston and valve didn't collide).

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
As long as it maintains good compression and oil pressure the motor is fine. Theres no reason you cant go 200+.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
As long as it maintains good compression and oil pressure the motor is fine. Theres no reason you cant go 200+.
I agree. These motors seem really really durable. Mine has 153k, and runs really well, doesn't leak, or knock, or burn any oil. I think the bottom end is pretty strong, and will last a while. Although if you have the money, and you want to rebuild it, it might not be a bad idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts