Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got rid of the stock shifter and bought a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter at the car show. What a difference it makes. It makes 2-3rd gear shifts easy as hell (and real fast too), but It still takes some getting use to. 5th actually feels like its part of the gear combination again instead of off in its own far away land.

I was told to buy a MGW instead, however, since I was at a car show I found another mustang with a MGW installed and it was just way too short. It didnt even feel like it was moving it was so short, so I am glad I got the steeda.

I didnt really set the stops 100% because I was told that the 3650 has stops already in it... is this true?

Overall it feels very aggressive and it is fun to drive.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Damn! You were on the stock shifter?? Holy **** lol. That thing sucks! Yeah Ive heard the Steeda Tri-Ax is a really good shifter. They say your not supposed to put the shift stops in with the 3650 because it has internal ones, but I think it was F8L GT that was telling me its acually good to put the shift stops in.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Is it real notchy?

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i love mine, got mine for $50 used

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yea I bought mine w the 8 ball grip and couldnt get it to go on so I beat it w a rubber mallet and the damn thing cracked. So i was like no big deal and my neighbor (mustang owner) came over and i said well lets try it out. I go on the street and did a little launch then ripped it into 2nd and it shattered into pieces! haha I felt like an idiot. just thought id share that...

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
if you ever power shift or shift hard, then yes set the stops up, even though the 3650 has internal shift stops, they werent made for power shifting or hard shifting and can cause damage if shifted to hard. they are there so its better to be safe than sorry

From an article about faceplated transmissions

Tremec doesn't recommend using a shifter with stops because of the transmission's internal shifter stops. But (the company) never intended guys to shift these transmissions as hard as they do," he said. Hanlon went on to tell us that while the internal shift stops are good, they aren't designed to handle the quick and strong shifts (especially with long shifter handles for better leverage) performed during aggressive driving-like power-shifting.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I'm thinking about switching to an MGW from my tri-ax. I like the bolt action feel to the tri-ax, but seeing how short the MGW shifts are makes me :drool. The Tri-ax was the very first mod I did though, the stock shifter is GARBAGE.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I love my Tri ax with the hurst t-Handle. I wanna try out the Pistol grip though. I like having my hand that way and it doesn't bug my wrist as much
your just trying to be more like me :shiftyeyes

·
2013 5.0 Deep Impact Blue
643 Posts
my first mod was a tri-ax also. had it for about 4yrs now it has developed some free play in it
so im thinking about an MGW in the future.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have had a pro 5.0 in the car since I bought it and I don't have any complaints. I just have nothing else to really compare it to I guess...
Glad you like your new shifter though

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my first mod was a tri-ax also. had it for about 4yrs now it has developed some free play in it
what do you mean by a little play?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
what do you mean by a little play?
I've had mine on for over four years, and in that whole time it has been nothing but hard aggressive shifting and mine still feels the way it did when I first got it

·
Registered
299 Posts
Best mod I did to car. Really made it feel like a sports car. Dragged it last month and loved the Tri-Ax over the stock shifter...I love that notchy tight feelin and rowing the gears is freaking awesome!!!! ok i need to calm down before i blow a gasket:D

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
Best mod I did to car. Really made it feel like a sports car. Dragged it last month and loved the Tri-Ax over the stock shifter...I love that notchy tight feelin and rowing the gears is freaking awesome!!!! ok i need to calm down before i blow a gasket:D
me to

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the input guys. It was well worth the money. I got it for $175 brand new.... cheapest I can find right now is about low 180s

1 - 20 of 26 Posts