Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bov doesn't close when i hit the throttle. I tried to loosen and tighten the screw on top of it and it makes absolutly no difference. i checked the vaccum lines and everything multiple times. It seems to be closing at like 4k rpm but i can't say for sure since exhaust it too loud to hear the air neways. around 2 or 3 k i can hear the air vent. It flutters constantly even if i m giving throttle. Do i need to tighten the scew or lossen it even more? or is there something else i am missing.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I had the same problem with my procharger valve... I had to take it apart and replace the leather diaphram inside. It had wore a hole over time so it wouldnt seal anymore. Id try that, they are pretty simple to take apart.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh btw i am not using the stock one. i bought a used one from a member here. It looks in good condition. Im highly doubting its the bov. prolly need something adjusting that i can't figure out. Worse comes worse i'll upgrade it in a month or so.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Wouldnt hurt to pull it apart and check..they are pretty similiar in design Im sure. I beat my head trying to figure it out also and it maybe had 10k miles on it.. But thats about all Ive got for ya, sounds like you checked the other stuff. Did you just put the valve on or have you been running it for awhile and now its acting up?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no car runs normal. but i 'feel' like its loosing power since i can literally hear the air vent and it flutters ALL the time when in gear. Can someone confirm that tightening the spring down( turning the scew right?) will help closing the piston of bov quicker?

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Sounds like mine did.. And I believe you are correct on the screw as the more tension on it, it wont open as far and should close faster.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
It prob show your not hitting full boost due to it leaking somewhere

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
i can't believe no one has said this yet but if it's fluttering constantly there is a huge chance it's stuck CLOSED and the fluttering that you're hearing is compressor surge... not an ideal condition especially if you like your supercharger head unit.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
To test your BOV, take it off, manually open the butterfly valve, and use your finger to plug the vacuum nipple. The butterfly valve should stay open. If it doesn't stay open you have a bad diaphram. Lift your finger off the nipple and the butterfly should smoothly close. If it doesn't smoothly close there is a mechanical problem.

You need to set the screw so that the butterfly valve opens all the way. You don't want it to be partially closed unless you have an open throttle. If it doesn't release enough air you will get compressor surge.

Mell0 is correct. If you are just cruising the BOV is suppose to be open.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the bov diameter is really small 1" i believe. would that do it?
I'll have to do that test for sure tom and i'll update. I am really just thinking of upgrading to better one. just waiting for some money to show up. maybe someone has a better one laying around they can sell me?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It does sound like compresser surge even when i m cruising which is why im confused. It shouldn't be "fluttering" while cruising since i didn't go in boost and released pressure

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
No, it shouldn't be fluttering. It should be a steady hiss. Fluttering is a sign of compressor surge. Make sure the BOV's butterfly valve is adjusted so that it opens fully. And, your right, 1" is pretty small. You're BOV may be too small to release enough pressure.

Edit: I looked at your picture again. How is it hooked to your piping. It appears that there is a pipe about the size of your vacuum line connecting to the system. That can't be right. But I can't see any other hoses in the picture.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts