Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Need To Post More...
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting on new pads & my back piston wont screw down no mater how many times I turn it.
If I turn it counter clockwise it comes out but now its out even further.

What am I doing wrong? :(

The e-brake is not on.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I don't know whether you have it screwed in all the way, but I'll pass this along...I installed a set of rear pads on a guy's '06 and found that I had to loosen the bleeder in order to allow the pistons to fully collapse.

·
I Need To Post More...
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would it turn and go nowhere? I thought opening it up would make it easier to turn
but that it was like a screw and if I turned it it should compress....

I will try that this afternoon when it warms up. I sure hope thats it cause I spent hours and hours working on them. Between the metal clips that fall out and the metal clips on the pads up front that pop off when turning into place I about pulled my hair out.

My driveway hasnt heard obscenities like that in quite sometime.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
To tell you the truth, I don't remember. I just remember it was the first caliper I had to loosen the bleeder in order to collapse the pistons.

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
I had to put about 30-something turns on mine and you have to occassionally push it in with a C-clamp or something of that nature...I wondered the same thing, too, when I was doing mine with the new rotors. Man, it was a PITD.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It has to be pushed in as it is turned. If you have a auto parts store that will rent you the tool for it that's your best bet. But if you arejust using the little cube, then try and push it as hard as you can as you turn.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
It has to be pushed in as it is turned. If you have a auto parts store that will rent you the tool for it that's your best bet. But if you arejust using the little cube, then try and push it as hard as you can as you turn.
I think he got it. I watched this thread on a few other forums yesterday.

One of my rear calipers was super easy and the other one was a pain in the ass. I ended up having to remove the caliper, putting it in a vice to get a better angle on pushing down as I spun it.

·
I Need To Post More...
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yeah it was off from the get go. I also rented the kit from Auto Zone ($60) so I had the right tools.
4 hrs later I had them both done.
I cracked opened the bleeder and at times (while turning) it was easier and at times harder. I pushed like crazy. I pulled the rotor off and mounted the caliper back on so
I wouldnt have to hold it while pushing and turning. That wore me out initially! lol

Well at some point I turned counterclockwise to see what it would do and it came out. Sooo I spun it clock wise again & kept going and a few turns after that I saw it go in so I just kept turning and it went down. So I recapped the bleeder and put the pads in and rotor on. Those pads with the metal clips....OMG what a PITA. Who the heck designed this?????

So onto the other side and the same issues. uuuggghhhhh....its like it just decides when it wants to screw down...but by 6pm I had it done in back. I started on one side so now to do the last front one and Im done.... I hope. lol

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
they have the brake caliper kit for that; it will spin your piston and apply pressure. You can just buy the universal kit for cheap thats what I did. Now I can change everyones brakes.

·
I Need To Post More...
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got em all on. I was applying pressure. It was just a weird deal.
If someone else has trouble and finds this thread I recommend taking the bleeder
bolt off and twisting counter clock wise every once in awhile and slowly it will catch and go down.

Yes I had the red boxed tool...the one with 9 diff swappable piston "keys"...

on the fronts you can make it easier to swap out the pads if you take out the smaller bolts that hold the two caliper parts together. The outter Caliper part will then swing away and you can mount the pads without touching or twisting off the pad clips.
Then just bolt it back. Taking off those extra two bolts makes it a 10 min job up front.
Sans that took me about 3 hours of twisting clips, mounting then accidentally popping them off then taking them out again and remounting clips then repeat. ugh...

Sooo now I get to have fun bedding in!!

Also there are no impersonation issues. I have the credentials. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts