Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some brake problems on my 99 GT Vert. LR and LF pads wore all the way down while the Right side was fine. I ordered new ceramic pads and rotors all the way around and figured I would paint the calipers while I had it apart. The LR caliper was seized. I couldnt get it to twist back in. Even rented the tool from advanced auto parts to try to get the piston back in but the tool wouldnt work. I replaced the caliper and bled it with no issues. Didnt have any problems with any other caliper. I replaced all the hardware on the rest of the calipers for good measure. Put it all back together drove it around and smelled somethin funny. Figured it was just the coating on the rotors wearing off. I started to see a bunch of brake dust on the wheels, the LF had a lot more than the rest and I noticed it was VERY hot after driving. I wanted to test it so I drove around town a little and down shifted instead of braking as much as possible. After I got home the the LF rotor was too hot to touch. The RF rotor was warm but I could touch it. I figured that was proof that the pads were sticking. I replaced the LF caliper and the rubber brake line. Bled the caliper and its all back together. After I bled the caliper I was not able to turn the rotor by hand after the brake pedal was released. I had to work the caliper right to left and do the same with the rotor before I was able to turn the rotor. Is this normal? Im getting a little frustrated with this brake job.

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
When you installed the caliper, did you recess the pistons ALL the way into the caliper? If so, when you installed the caliper, how hard was it to get the caliper over the rotor. I'm wondering if the pads are took thick and the caliper can't relax without the brakes applied.

Can you turn the rear after being replaced?

What brand pads did you get?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recessed the caliper all the way as far as it would go on the first on then on the new one It looked like it was all the way in. It wasnt hard to get the caliper on. I havent checked the backs yet. I did crack open the bleeder to try to release some pressure thinking that might help. some fluid came out but the rotor still wouldnt turn. I took the caliper off and the rotor turns no problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Possilby the pads ?
PLease keep us updated .
Maybe you can call a creditable brake shop for an answer from a reliable mechanic ?
Good luck on solving the problem. :yes

·
Registered
224 Posts
proportioning valve or master cylinder???
how does the fluid look? is it cruddy enough that an orifice could be plugged somewhere??

just some food for thought...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fluid that came out was pretty dark. when I bled the system I kept bleeding until clean fluid came out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the car on jack stands all the way around now. The RF wheel is very hard to spin. The 2 back wheels have some drag but I can turn them with one hand. If I give it the old wheel of fortune spin it wont go around 1 time. Is that too much drag for the rear?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts