Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone knows why my light for the Emergency Brake will come on during hard braking? I had to get on the brakes hard tonight to miss a deer and I noticed the brake light came on. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It's a 99 stock GT. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Check you brake fluid level. If that is fine, go around checking all brake pads, inside and out. See if any are more worn than the others. Last, do a brake test on a nice and straight road. Get up to just like 60 mph and hit your brakes. No need to press terribly hard, just normal braking. See if your car drifts to a side. This would indicate if you have a possible dead piston that is not compressing.

Mine did this and all it needed was some fluid. I guess I must've not topped it off last time I fooled with it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Check you brake fluid level. If that is fine, go around checking all brake pads, inside and out. See if any are more worn than the others. Last, do a brake test on a nice and straight road. Get up to just like 60 mph and hit your brakes. No need to press terribly hard, just normal braking. See if your car drifts to a side. This would indicate if you have a possible dead piston that is not compressing.

Mine did this and all it needed was some fluid. I guess I must've not topped it off last time I fooled with it.
I should try this out, when i brake nothing hard but not light either the car tends to go left instead of a straight line. I have to turn the wheel right a bit under fairly adequate braking.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My car was doing the same thing and I filled my brake fluid up and then it came on a week later and then I notice my front rim was peeling and I took off my rim and check my caliper and the seal was all messed up and was leaking and destroyed my rim. So if I were you I would check your caliber.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The light comes on for two reasons - 1. if the emergency brake is on, and/or 2. if your brake fluid drops below a certain point.

I assume you are not driving around with the e brake on, so:

your brake fluid is low because - 1. your fluid is leaking somewhere, and/or 2. your pads are so low that when you apply the brakes hard enough, the fluid level drops.

If you don't see any leaks, I would suspect extremely low pads. Fill the fluid for now, and replace the pads as soon as you can.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
:withhomo

·
Registered
282 Posts
The light comes on for two reasons - 1. if the emergency brake is on, and/or 2. if your brake fluid drops below a certain point.

I assume you are not driving around with the e brake on, so:

your brake fluid is low because - 1. your fluid is leaking somewhere, and/or 2. your pads are so low that when you apply the brakes hard enough, the fluid level drops.

If you don't see any leaks, I would suspect extremely low pads. Fill the fluid for now, and replace the pads as soon as you can.
Definitely do this and check your lines and caliper, so you don't have a mess up rim like me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the brake fluid is low. So I guess I need some pads somewhere. None of them look that bad. No squeals and it looks like there is plenty of pad left. Anyway, I just bought this car so I will start by changing pads. Also, none of my wheels are wet like a wheel cylinder going bad. Anyway, thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts