Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the brakes and turned the rotors on my son's girlfriends 08 V6 Mustang. I't was ok for about two months and now they squeal when making easy stops, hard stops no squeal. Also, seeing small grooves in the rotors (all four rotors).

Stops fine just a squeal.:banghead

We used the good Gold Brake Pads from Advance Auto Parts.

Any Idea?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
727 Posts
My guess would be vibration between the pad and caliper. That would be consistent with the situation you're describing, as the caliper compresses during hard braking there's almost no movement or room for NVH with the higher pressure- hence why it squeals a bit only under light braking. Did you apply and anti squeal lube/goop on the back of the pads when you installed them? Most of the time that helps. I did the brakes on my '01 suburban in the fall and after a few months it's doing the same thing. The stopping power is the same so I'm not too worried about it though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My guess would be vibration between the pad and caliper. That would be consistent with the situation you're describing, as the caliper compresses during hard braking there's almost no movement or room for NVH with the higher pressure- hence why it squeals a bit only under light braking. Did you apply and anti squeal lube/goop on the back of the pads when you installed them? Most of the time that helps. I did the brakes on my '01 suburban in the fall and after a few months it's doing the same thing. The stopping power is the same so I'm not too worried about it though.
squeal lube was my next step for the squeal but I don't like the wear pattern on the rotor.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
How small are these grooves? I notice most rotors, at least on S197s, have these very light grooves through the rotor.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Like I said all of the S197 rotors I've ever seen have them so I wouldn't worry too much about them. If they are the same small grooves I'm talking about. By the way, what axle are you running up front in the F150?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said all of the S197 rotors I've ever seen have them so I wouldn't worry too much about them. If they are the same small grooves I'm talking about. By the way, what axle are you running up front in the F150?
Ok, thanks. I'm thinking the squeal lube will do the trick since lite braking it squeals and heavy braking we have no squeal.

79 F150 Dana 44 w/4:88's.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
geez you could have extra storage above the tire there! haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts