Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting some erratic braking spontaneously, not all the time. Car will pull left heavily. Not a drift motion, stearing literally turns. Ideas?

·
Registered
189 Posts
have air in the brake lines??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm leaning towads the sticking caliper, which side? Becuase it happens when I brake I would lean towards the passenger side NOT engaging properly hence the left pull...? Are these easily lubricated or something? Rebuild kit maybe?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
If it pulls left it will probably be a left front caliper. After you drive around for a while and it's been pulling pretty good, stop the car, get out, and feel which rotors are warmer. Be CAREFUL! though. lol They will be hot. You may be able to tell just by putting the back of your fingers near the rotor. If one is quite a bit hotter than the other, that's the wheel that is sticking.

Sometimes there will also be discoloration to the rotor if it's been sticking badly for a while.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the thing...doesn't do it all the time. Why the left? If it pulls left would that not be indicator that the right isn't clamping down as it should?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Thats the thing...doesn't do it all the time. Why the left? If it pulls left would that not be indicator that the right isn't clamping down as it should?
Which is an alternative way of saying that the left one is clamping harder than the right one. And if a caliper is sticking, it won't necessarily do it all the time until it finally becomes seized.

Again, you have to drive it and check it. It could also be a rear caliper. It's not an exact science trying to ascertain which caliper is sticking....and that's assuming this is the problem. You could have an abs or traction control issue, it's just that those problems are less common than a sticky caliper, and that's where you should start.

If you can't tell anything after a drive by heat difference of the rotors, and there is no discoloration on any of them, it may come down to taking them apart and looking at the pads on each one to see if they each corner is wearing similarly. Ad checking to see if you can push the piston back in to the caliper. Although keep in mind the rear caliper's pistons must also turn as they go back in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not an ABS or TC issue....TC is off and ABS is fine as I had that checked last fall before I put it away....no discoloration on the rotors. I'm gonna pull the cals off to paint them this weekend anyways....is there a rebuild kit for them? I may do that as long as they are off...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts