Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jazzer and other autocross guys get in here!!!

I need new pads on the front like freaking craaaazy. I feel like I have zero stopping power right now.

I'm on a budget though, and I've never done brakes before in my life so I don't know if pad installation is something I wanna tackle or just take to a buddy.

What pads do you guys think are the best bang for the buck?

My budget for everything is going to be about $120.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
How are your rotors? Are they chewed up from worn pads? I would go with Hawk HPS pads. Ive heard good things from them.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
NoCo.... just peep the Brakes Upgrade thread.... has EVERYTHING you need to know, silly boy :D

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to see you Jazzer...you like disappeared for a while man!

Sean, my rotors aren't too bad. I'll upgrade when I have the money to do a big brakes package but, I can't right now. That's funny what you said about the Hawk pads though, I've actually never heard nothing but bad stuff about their pads! I may have to go read some more reviews.

Louver, how are the OEM pads? Mine were slightly warn when I got the car so I never felt them new.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
OEM pads are no where near as good as what you can run :(

What bad things have you heard about Hawk? I run the HPS up front and have zero complaints. They make NO noise, minimal dust and have great stopping powa :yes

Peep my guide, spend about $300 and have better brakes than 90% of the pepes reading this thread*

Jazzer :)

*not better than a Kitty :no

·
MoM Fanatic
5,056 Posts
agree with casper i upgraded to cobra brakes in the front and it makes a huge difference. uh if on a budget you may try the severe duty brake pads. i bought a set for the track but i havent tried them yet i cant wait for july!

·
Registered
224 Posts
i've run Carbotech's on my race car and on my Mustang and love them. Not cheap but they're fantastic, last a long time, little dust and stop on a dime without fading from overheating. i've also run Hawks in the past and i guess i dont have an opinion on those either way. But, i've called Carbotech direct and talked to their techs quite a bit. They've even called me after a weekend at the track to find out how the pads worked.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I run Hawks on my PBR's and they are awesome. Gone through 2 sets so far (I brake hard) and they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Hawk HPS's would be my choice....

John

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
John... what would be your ULTIMATE brakes?

:p

·
Registered
224 Posts
Carbotech Bobcats or AX6's
slotted rotors on front
RBF600 brake fluid
I also replaced my master cylinder as it was the original and had 60k on it. Not that it was bad, i just didn't want it to go bad at Road America!

Approx. $800 total

daily driver to autocross to full road course ready!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I just did my brake upgrades last weekend..Bullitt calipers, hawk HPS pads, powerslot slotted rotors, Stainless Steel Lines, new dot 4 fluid, and a line lock...I haven't driven it a ton, and I honestly can't say these brakes FEEL too much different, maybe because of the install, but they bite like hell if I put the pedal to the floor. Obviously the other mods help, but I like my hawk HPS pads.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just did my brake upgrades last weekend..Bullitt calipers, hawk HPS pads, powerslot slotted rotors, Stainless Steel Lines, new dot 4 fluid, and a line lock...I haven't driven it a ton, and I honestly can't say these brakes FEEL too much different, maybe because of the install, but they bite like hell if I put the pedal to the floor. Obviously the other mods help, but I like my hawk HPS pads.

the only part about that that surprise me is that you admitted you didn't notice a big difference. usually, whenever someone does an upgrade, we hear that it's the greatest thing ever!! :D

i really don't notice a big difference either until i'm at the road course and there the difference is that they don't fade. i agree the quality of the pads allows them to bite a bit better when you get on them hard, but knowing they will be consistent from the beginning to the end of the session is what this is all about.

Thank you for the honest feedback! :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Lol always happy to give honest answers, Don! Like you explained, I'm sure if I ever get the car on a road course, they'll be much better than the GT brakes, but I bought them primarily for peace of mind that I have the extra stopping power, and because they look much better behind the rim :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts