1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be getting these

Results for caliper cover > Generation: 2005-2009 - AmericanMuscle.com

I also need a 1/4 in spacer for them.

I wanna get Hawk Pads, but not sure what rotors to get.

Can someone help me with decent rotors? Nothing serious but prob want a crossed drilled, right?

Also wheres the best place to pick up some 1/4 in spacers?

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Rotors, you can't really go wrong with anything name brand, i.e. Baer, StopTech, Brembo's, etc. I have Brembo slotted. Didn't go with the drilled as for (my personal opinion) I was afraid of them cracking. As for spacer's...I just picked up a 3/8" spacer from Summit for like $25 or something like that.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
I'd pass on those covers, Seen several locally and they are laughed upon heavily.

Look into GMS slotted and dimpled rotors. Cross drilled weakens the rotor.

Rotor pros also has a nice slotted rotor.

When you say 1/4" spacer are you talking about wheel spacers or spacers to space out the covers?

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd pass on those covers, Seen several locally and they are laughed upon heavily.

Look into GMS slotted and dimpled rotors. Cross drilled weakens the rotor.

Rotor pros also has a nice slotted rotor.

If you must have the covers, 1/4" spacers can be found in any home depot, menards, or lowes over in the fastener bins.
Why laughed upon? I mean they arent performance, sure....but I honestly dont think the car world around me would know the difference. I like the way they look and Im not good at painting. Im also not gonna drop 2500+ on a performance brake system.

Home Depot or Lowes have the spacers that will work with my wheels? LOL

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im talking about wheel spacers

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Im going to be getting these

Results for caliper cover > Generation: 2005-2009 - AmericanMuscle.com

I also need a 1/4 in spacer for them.

I wanna get Hawk Pads, but not sure what rotors to get.

Can someone help me with decent rotors? Nothing serious but prob want a crossed drilled, right?

Also wheres the best place to pick up some 1/4 in spacers?

What are you using the car for?

If your car never sees a track at all I'd honestly stick with stock replacement rotors, unless you want the look of big rotors to fill the wheel, which is understandable. The stock rotors are cheap and there is not going to be any perceived performance difference between slotted and OEM blank rotors for daily driving applications.

Get stainless brake lines, flush your system with good fluid (Ate Super 200 or Super Blue), do the brake change correctly and take care of the parts and know that if a rotor warps, it will only cost you $40 - $50 to replace instead of $100 - $200.

The caliper covers are way overpriced for what they are. Painting is easy, and if you're replacing pads and rotors, you'll have the calipers and caliper mounting brackets off the car anyway. Just clean them off with a brush and some brake cleaner (Carquest sells some non-chlorinated brake cleaner that I highly recommend), then use a high temperature primer and paint and pay yourself $100. :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I just installed the EBC 3GD Sport rotors and a set of EBC Red Stuff pads. The rotors have a black zinc coating on them so the dimples and slots won't rust over time as well as any areas that are not touched by the pads. You will get lots of dust for the first few miles as the black zinc coating wears off the braking surface. The brake pads come with a bed in coating that conditions the rotors.

I am very pleased with this rotor and pad setup and they are reasonable priced.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Also if you are gonna change the rotors you might as well just paint the calipers as I did. It will look much better and about $150 cheaper.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Also if you are gonna change the rotors you might as well just paint the calipers as I did. It will look much better and about $150 cheaper.
Exactly. All the parts will be off the car at that point anyway.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well as usual you guys have changed my mind. Guess Ill be changing the front first with some dimpled and painting the calipers.

Currently I get a nasty creaking noise from the front left caliper. Breaks work fine just sounds like It needs a bit of grease.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just a heads up, if you decide to go with the EBC pads they don't come with new clips that the pads slide on so you will have to clean them up really good.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No clips? WTF?

·
Registered
739 Posts
No clips? WTF?
Yeah, that was my first reaction when I opened the box. So, I just had to clean the old ones up really good, it seems toe be working nicely though. Im not sure if the Hawk pads you were looking at come with them. I heard that its hit and miss when it comes to the clips. Some companies supply new ones and others don't.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Your local auto parts store will have the clips. Ask for the brake hardware for the axle you're working on.

Apparently it's something that's disappearing from coming with the pads. Some pads come with the clips, some don't. Lots of people probably reuse clips, so why continue to charge the customers for the clips?

Edit: I type slow. :)

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Why laughed upon? I mean they arent performance, sure....but I honestly dont think the car world around me would know the difference. I like the way they look and Im not good at painting. Im also not gonna drop 2500+ on a performance brake system.

Home Depot or Lowes have the spacers that will work with my wheels? LOL
The home depot and lowes was edited as you know already, Thought you were spacing the covers based on mama stangs review of the pieces a few weeks back.

I wasn't looking to aggitate you with the laughed upon comment. It just happens, I'm guilty of it myself because they do look very cheesy once you get close to them. See them from a mile away, especially when the rears are done. The reaction of most of the enthusiasts is pretty much the same. And let's face it, if you do put them on, the people that know nothing about big brake kits. It's the folks that do know cars that are "Damn look at them Brakes", then they come close and you get to hear "oh, god, they are fake".

Anyway - I'd paint the caliper, get the new rotors. That will make a big enough impact to hold you over. If you still have a craving for bigger calipers, the GT500 brembo's can be found quite cheap.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its not a matter of big brakes. I dont see a need when I dont push more then 350Hp and I dont do much track, if at all. Just for show.

The reason for the covers was just to dress it up, not to appear as a big brake kit.

I just want the calipers to look good under the wheel, right now I keep looking at it in disgust.

I guess ill go the painting road. Just the fronts to start and see how they look/hold up.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I guess ill go the painting road. Just the fronts to start and see how they look/hold up.
I bought the Duplicolor caliper paint kit it lasted for about a year and a half (Including winter with LOTS of salt). The paint started chipping so I just touched them up when I put my new brakes on.

·
Registered
540 Posts
look on ebay, thats where I got my spacers from.

Oh and make sure that u buy the rotors/pads from a good place. I bought some and had a bitch fitting them.... But nothing a little modding couldnt fix

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I like these covers, they look much better than painted calipers, but they are way over priced. $200 bucks for 4 covers! Thats crazy!:yes

1 - 20 of 24 Posts