Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for some GT500 Take off's but I can't find any used ones. I am going down to Sebring Race way on the 14th of may and I want to up my stopping power with at least 4 piston calipers since I have the new added Power. Have you guys seen any for sale or any inexpensive new 4 piston calipers?

P.S. I look on s197Forum and they sell like hot cakes, I never get them on time.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've been looking for some GT500 Take off's but I can't find any used ones. I am going down to Sebring Race way on the 14th of may and I want to up my stopping power with at least 4 piston calipers since I have the new added Power. Have you guys seen any for sale or any inexpensive new 4 piston calipers?

P.S. I look on s197Forum and they sell like hot cakes, I never get them on time.
search back a little bit, someone on here did a brake upgrade on their S197 to knock-off GT500 brakes and they talked in their about finding them on ebay and craigslist. I believe they picked their's up for like 600 off CL.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck in your search and at Sebring.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
they are getting harder to find lately. you can upgrade to the 2011 brakes which have larger rotors. i believe they are 2 piston calipers, but are a bit better either way. not as pretty as the brembo's though. also saw a thread about doing it with all new parts for around 500 or so.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I saw that but I don't like the idea of "knock offs" I guess I might have to bite the bullet and Spend the 1200-1400 on some 4 piston breaks. I saw some saleen Breaks from BBR and some others from Stage3motorsports. I'll check em out.

Yeah.. I would just upgrade the stockers, but you really need 4 piston calipers for road racing. It distributes the stopping power more evenly.

Any other suggestions on where to buy them from? And where we can use a Discount code from the forum

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Yeah I saw that but I don't like the idea of "knock offs" I guess I might have to bite the bullet and Spend the 1200-1400 on some 4 piston breaks. I saw some saleen Breaks from BBR and some others from Stage3motorsports. I'll check em out.
I don't think he meant "knock offs" like you're thinking. I think he meant take offs. I have never seen a knock off Brembo brake package for our cars. A year+ ago these kits were turning up left and right for $500-700.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn I looked on eBay, Amazon, Corral, s197, and Craigslist with in a 2 hour driving distance from Jacksonville.. NOTHING! They did have a few but I'd have to Bid on it and that doesn't guarentee I'd get it. Not to mention the price was bid up to 700+ already. To my displease I think I'm going to have to get some NEW brakes instead of pick up some used ones at a decent price. AND I'm going to have to buy some rims to fit them plus new tires for Sebring on the 13th-14th =/

And cheap rim suggestions? I think just 18's bullit acrylics for the track only.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Are you completely set on the GT500s? There were a bunch of Saleen big brake kits online a while back for ~$800-900 and they are going to be leaps and bounds better than the Brembos. They are made by Stoptech and are the same brake kits as the Roush 4 piston kit. There's always going with a upgraded stock set-up. Stainless brake lines, quality fluid, and an aggressive track pad and an extra set of rotors to run those pads only.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you completely set on the GT500s? There were a bunch of Saleen big brake kits online a while back for ~$800-900 and they are going to be leaps and bounds better than the Brembos. They are made by Stoptech and are the same brake kits as the Roush 4 piston kit. There's always going with a upgraded stock set-up. Stainless brake lines, quality fluid, and an aggressive track pad and an extra set of rotors to run those pads only.
Nah, I REALLY want wilwood breaks, but I went to the site and got overwhelmed with all the choices they had. But that is what I am currently looking at. GT500 were a top choice as well. I'm not to break savvy. I have seen the Saleen ones on BBR 2005-2010 Mustang Saleen 14 Inch Front Brake Kit They look good. Did you check out the SVT brakes I posted earlier?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
I would go after the Wilwoods.. Thats what we used to run on the race car (dirt track late model). They are true racing brakes. When I upgrade mine, thats what I will have on it.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Wilwoods are insanely good, but those saleens as well as the SVT's posted are very good as well.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
The Wilwoods give me a chubby... I don't know how they perform over the others, but they are dear to me because of my roots.. Id put them on just because of the racing deal.. Just a touch spendy though!! LOL

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I have narrowed it down to 2 diffrent brakes. The Saleen brakes & SVT brakes. I'm leaning towards the SVT brakes due the 400 dollar difference and I can't see why I should spend more for the Saleen's other then that I want them to say Saleen. lol

Next are my rims. Should I be going for an 18 or 19? I mean the rim size really doesn't matter on the track, just the side wall really. I am leaning towards the 18 so there is less rotational mass.

But which would you prefer. I have Bullits now and I like em, so.

Hypercoated GT4 Deep Dish Wheel 05-12 (18x10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

or

Anthracite Bullitt Deep Dish Wheel 05-12 (18x9) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

either one I like. There is only a 120 dollar difference.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
****, after double checking it the SVT won't fit any bullits, but does anyone know if they'll fit the Saleens? I don't see anything really on it.. Maybe I'll just call BBR tomorrow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts