Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brake Upgrade Questions

Hey Guys,

About a month ago, i drove out to Deland Florida to check out Brothers Performance new shop over by me. I left with F/R Powerslot Slotted Rotors, and F/R Hawk HPS Pads. I am installing them tomorrow with my father and i remember reading somewhere that there was a special tool needed for the rears.

Is this true?

What is the tool called?

Anybody have experience with this??

Any input would be great! Thanks in advance!!:yes

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
The rear calipers have to be turned and pressed simultaneously to compress them. There are tools, I use a pair of channel locks on the outer edge of the piston (be carefuly not to pinch the boot/seal).

Do a search I think 07stang gt posted pics of the tool in the past, or might have been zippee..

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
Or it was me...

Heres what the tool looks like. Notice it has little nubs that fit into the slots on the rim of the piston to turn as its compressed. You can pick on up as a loaner from autozone or buy a kit for like $30.

EDIT:

Heres Zips original thread ( with lots of nice pics other than the tool your looking for ;) )
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/134794-question-5.html

Heres Zips write up on how to do them...
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/134881-how-do-rear-brakes-2005-mustang-gt.html

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
answered your question on the other forum.....

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
AutoZone also has a small cube that fits on a 3/8 drive ratchet that has different nub locations on each side. Its cheap and works well if you dont want to spend as much on the kit

·
Registered
225 Posts
i just used a pair of duckbill pliers, worked fine.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You can also rent that kit from Autozone, they ask for a deposit, like $50 and refund it when you bring it back.

$20 for a shop manual is pretty handy too. ;-) Remember to watch your brake fluid level in the resevoir when you're compressing the pistons....

Good luck, have fun and enjoy the installation. :D

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Might also like to watch this video as well on an 08 Mustang before you do the install....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts