Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necessary because i just blew my last one. it was a polk db 12" 360 watts rms. i was pushing about 300 rms and one day it just died. should i have broken it in or do you think it was just faulty?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
you were running the proper rms, som im going to guess it was either faulty or old. When i boughtmy subs i used them very carefully for about the first week or so then turned it up, its been about 2 years now and still good to go. 2 alpine 10" type R's. They are 500watt RMS each and ive been running 1000Watt RMS to both for 2 years

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
make sure your wiring it correctly for the ohm load. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
:withhomo and yes you should break it in. you should play it at about moderate level for at the very least 30 hours (not continuous), about 2 weeks worth. This is what I was taught by several company representitives. breaking in allows the spider, which is a part of the speaker that helps maintain linear movement of the voice coil, to maintain control over the entire cone movement.

Reactions: Big C

·
Registered
812 Posts
+1 on the two weeks, if you have ever smelt a funny smell with a new sub, that is the voice coil breaking in, my 2 12'' W3's stunk up my car like a mofo, which is normal, you can set your bass levels down a bit just to be safe too

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmm, never heard of breaking in a sub, but I'm no industry expert. What can blow a sub is distortion, not overpowering. Speakers don't like clipped sound waves and can cause overheating of the coils. Make sure the ohm rating is what the amp can handle so you're not overworking the amp.

Are the 2 subs in series or parallel? Are they 4ohm rated?

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
:withhomo and yes you should break it in. you should play it at about moderate level for at the very least 30 hours (not continuous), about 2 weeks worth. This is what I was taught by several company representitives. breaking in allows the spider, which is a part of the speaker that helps maintain linear movement of the voice coil, to maintain control over the entire cone movement.
:withhomo

I used to design speakers and they should always be broken in first. They have T/S parameters for each speaker but those aren't the T/S parameters when it's sent. Those are the T/S parameters once the surround, voice coil, and spider have been broken in.

From the factory, the spider and surround are very stiff. I'm not talking a little stiff....VERY stiff. If you blast them immediately, you stand a good chance of lifting one of the two (spider is most likely).

The glue that holds the VC wires in place is cured by heat. From the factory, it's not 100% cured. As you play the speaker, the wires heat up. This causes the glue to continue to cure and smells.

If you don't break in your speakers (especiallly subs b/c of the travel), you can easily break them (even if you're under the recommened power). If they don't break, the T/S parameters won't be what they're expected to be.

·
Registered
356 Posts
+1 on the two weeks, if you have ever smelt a funny smell with a new sub, that is the voice coil breaking in, my 2 12'' W3's stunk up my car like a mofo, which is normal, you can set your bass levels down a bit just to be safe too
I always thought that if you could smell the sub, it was getting burnt and the power should be turned down so it does not blow the coil? :confused:

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
there is a big difference between a "burning" and a "breaking in" smell

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah i think i burned mine. i dropped it in and ran the hell out of it from day one. 2 weeks later right before a 6 hour trip it dies completely. the fumes from the trunk were strong too.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
that is "burning" :lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all right i just bought a sony xplod 12 inch 380 rms 1300 max. i got the amp set to half power. i wish the two weeks would go by sooner lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts