Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im trying to swap my BBK pulleys back to stockers, i cant for the life of me budge the bolt holding the pulleys on. I already rented the puller but even with my air gun, i cant get the bolt off. Any tips or tricks? Ive found alot of ways to do it with a manual trans but nothing for auto. And due to the bbk being piggy back, i cant even try the old jam a screw driver through trick.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Well you can try wedging a screwdriver or prybar through the inspection hole to the flexplate teeth.

Alternatively putting a piston stop through the spark plug bore may give you just enough resistance.

I know some people have mentioned putting a breaker on the bolt, wedged against the floor, and then bumping it with the starter, but that seems pretty sketchy.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Uh, I don't miss doing this. Sorry OP! "I know that feel bro". I had to put stockers back on when I went sc'd.

I left the belt on, tried a combo of impact gun and giant ass hammer hitting the handle of the wrench. The impact gun worked on the alternator but I had to use the hammer concept everywhere else. This also required me to remove things like radiator etc to give me the room I needed.

IT SUCKS!

·
Poo tee weet?
2,646 Posts
Leave it in drive and put the rear tires on the ground. then with a long pipe over a breaker bar, give it a good "pop". Im not 100% sure if you can shut it off in drive though. Im no auto expert
Lol, no. :)
There is no mechanical connection between your crankshaft and the rear wheels like on a manual. Not like you're thinking

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know if i trust that method with an auto, ill end up driving through my wall lol! As far as i know, if its in drive u cant kill the power. Has to be in park from what ive been told but ive never wanted to try it lol!

·
Carport Built
871 Posts
What psi are you pushing through your impact? Mines rated for 90 but it wouldnt budge it so I cranked it up th o 140 and it came right off lol

·
WOT Junkie
1,163 Posts
Just keep hitting it until it finally backs off. It may help to spray the bolt with some WD40 or PB Blaster and letting it sit. Eventually it will loosen up.

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My compressor wont hold past 90 psi but it says it holds up to 250 psi?? I was able to get it finally, i used the crows foot from the puller kit and rigged up a deal so i could use my left are to hild a breaker bar to keep it still and my right arm to use the other breaker bar to losen it, had to muscle [email protected]#k it like no other but got it off!

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Everyone puts a breaker bar against the frame under the battery or floor or anywhere solid wherever you can get it to reach to thats solid..and make sure you got it on the right side and bump the starter, bump starter first and see what way it goes so you know what way to put your breaker bar..I have to do this on all stock mustangs that havent been broken loose yet..done about 20 here at my business so far that way..I try it with my ignorsaw ram impact which is the best out there and the biggest and it wont pop it, its insane..all commercial grade air stuff and low mileage mustangs/cobras usually..just the way it is the first time you break it loose..Just leave it in park and tap the key and turn it back quick it wont start but if your super slow and crank it its going to lol but bump it you know its simple nothing going to happen..

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help and input everyone, i asked the question and had replies suggestions in very fast timing!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ive done mine by myself whenever the motor was out and on a wooden dolly so that the teeth of the flex plate are wedged between the two pieces of wood and the weight of the motor keeps the flexplate from spinning worked like a charm with a breaker bar (no impact gun) everytime. as for motor in car with no impact gun i would suggest throwing it on a lift, get a good length breaker bar, take the two bolts off the plate at the bottom of the bell housing and jam something good in there lol

·
Registered
808 Posts
The breaker bar/cheater pipe method will work as Ive done it on several different vehicles like described.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts