Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea how long the pads should be lasting on the Brembo brake package? Mine have been squealing for a few hundred miles now and I only have 5800 miles on the car! I've never really done any hard braking at all. This can't be normal, can it? If I take it to the dealer, are they just gonna tell me to pound sand?

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Brake squeel at 5800 miles is defanately not normal. Take it in, and have them checked. Could be as simple as a rock in the pads. Other times the pads are glazed. In either case, it should be covered by your warrenty.

·
Registered
199 Posts
my brembos have sqeaked under light braking since I left the dealer...i think it is pretty common

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Now you guys have me thinking a bit. I'm wondering what kind of pad material Ford is using. When I am at work, I will lookinto it a little.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
I have 8.5k on mine and no noise out of mine at all. Now dust on the other hand....

You should get them checked out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The pads used on the Brembo package produce a lot of dust. I believe they are the lower end generic Ford pads. However, I had the brake squeal within 500 miles of owning the car and took it in to the dealer. The service manager had them looked at and they still had 90% life. He said to wait for the brakes to cool when I get home and to wash the wheels with a power washer to get all the dust of the rotors and pads. The squeal went away for a few days then came back when they were dirty. Rinse and repeat I suppose cause I did the same thing again and they stopped squealing. Just upgrade the pads to Hawk HP Plus, the ferro-carbon material will eliminate a lot of the brake dust and is a nice cheaper pad upgrade for your brembos.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
Just upgrade the pads to Hawk HP Plus, the ferro-carbon material will eliminate a lot of the brake dust and is a nice cheaper pad upgrade for your brembos.
Dont you mean the Hawk HPS? From what retailers (several of them) told me, the HP Plus give out TONS of dust, noisy, and wear out your rotors quick. I was told to use the HPS since they have less dust than the stock pads and quiet, with better stopping power over stock. These are also ferro-carbon but are designed for everyday use unlike the Hp Plus

·
Registered
18 Posts
i put the hp plus on my car, I'm not sure if the HPS series would do a lot better for the dust, but i have a signicantly less amount of brake dust than what i used to. As for rotor warping, i've had them on for about 3000 miles now stop-and-go traffic every day on and off base and have had no signs of it. I'll be going cross country (san diego to north carolina) in july, so I'll let you know personally if you want to know still by then. I guess that'll be the real test. (I'll take a look after work for wear too since that was your main question/concern.)

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
I'll be going cross country (san diego to north carolina) in july
Ok yeah im jealous of you now :( I wanna do a cross country trip too lol. you better take lots of awesome pics and take the good roads. make it a badass adventure or something

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pads used on the Brembo package produce a lot of dust. I believe they are the lower end generic Ford pads. However, I had the brake squeal within 500 miles of owning the car and took it in to the dealer. The service manager had them looked at and they still had 90% life. He said to wait for the brakes to cool when I get home and to wash the wheels with a power washer to get all the dust of the rotors and pads. The squeal went away for a few days then came back when they were dirty. Rinse and repeat I suppose cause I did the same thing again and they stopped squealing. Just upgrade the pads to Hawk HP Plus, the ferro-carbon material will eliminate a lot of the brake dust and is a nice cheaper pad upgrade for your brembos.
Thanks for the info. I didn't figure the dealer would do anything. I suppose I'll save myself a wasted trip and just deal with it or upgrade pads. They are super dusty. I wash my car each week and when I spray the front wheels, the dust just rolls off. Crazy. You'd think they would use a better pad with the Brembo package.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i put the hp plus on my car, I'm not sure if the HPS series would do a lot better for the dust, but i have a signicantly less amount of brake dust than what i used to. As for rotor warping, i've had them on for about 3000 miles now stop-and-go traffic every day on and off base and have had no signs of it. I'll be going cross country (san diego to north carolina) in july, so I'll let you know personally if you want to know still by then. I guess that'll be the real test. (I'll take a look after work for wear too since that was your main question/concern.)
I'll be headed from Modesto(central CA) to VA end of June beginning of July, can't wait to go but taking 10 so it will be pretty bland scenery for most of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok yeah im jealous of you now :( I wanna do a cross country trip too lol. you better take lots of awesome pics and take the good roads. make it a badass adventure or something
Haha, I wish it was something to be jealous about, I'm switching duty stations so It's gonna be pretty hectic with my wife, minimal luggage, and 2 saran-wrapped dogs in the back seat... However I did look over the weekend at my brake rotors, no signs of abnormal wear of any kind.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Damn, I just did the opposite back in Nov. Hope you have someone to go with you to keep you company. I didn't, so I was bored alot lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts