Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am now looking at the Brenspeed stg. 2 saleen kit (485hp crank) and FRPP hot rod cams (once available of course). Now with that being said would my fuel system support it? I was guessing it would put me just a hair over 500 at the crank and I seen that the Stg. 3 saleen kit is rated for 500 at the crank and they have a BAP and HTO plugs added to that kit. Will I need these for the stg. 2 and "hot rod" cams if they hypothetically put around the same power? If so I will just get the damn stg. 3 kit with the stg. 2 pulley. I dont plan on forging my internals just yet so I dont want to snap or bend a rod or anything so trying to keep it somewhat moderate yet meet a short term goal.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I would go with the whipple HO kit. Its around the same price but the whipple HO kit comes with everything you need.

I believe the Hot Rod cams are for N/A engines.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read in another post by someone who already is on a waiting list at suttonhp for the cams that they asked him and he said from the profile they should work with FI too. but then agian you never know. I was thinking of the Saleen kit since brenspeed is only 4 hours away from my house. I am located in Indiana so it is more of a convenience, so do you think I need the BAP and HTO plugs or what?

·
Registered
870 Posts
i dont think i understood what youre saying, youre going to add cams and a stage 2 saleen blower and push around 500 hp and youre not worried about breaking things. But the stage 3 sc puts out 500 hp too and youre going to detune it in order to not break anything? Any who like the gentlemen above me stated go with whipple, or you could go with a kb :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
Read in another post by someone who already is on a waiting list at suttonhp for the cams that they asked him and he said from the profile they should work with FI too. but then agian you never know. I was thinking of the Saleen kit since brenspeed is only 4 hours away from my house. I am located in Indiana so it is more of a convenience, so do you think I need the BAP and HTO plugs or what?
every one ive known who goes blown either upgrades to the fuel system or runs a BAP. I would get the plugs while youre at it . Things like this is the reason why im waiting on boost :(

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont think i understood what youre saying, youre going to add cams and a stage 2 saleen blower and push around 500 hp and youre not worried about breaking things. But the stage 3 sc puts out 500 hp too and youre going to detune it in order to not break anything? Any who like the gentlemen above me stated go with whipple, or you could go with a kb :D
not detuning just running the bigger pulley that is offered for the stage 2 kit. 500hp at the crank is merely 425rwhp, I keep seeing guys saying that 450rwhp is about the most stock internals will take so I figured I will stay a little under that. I am not sure if Brenspeed will install parts they dont sell. I dont have the know how to do it myself unless you know where a write up is?

·
Registered
870 Posts
i understand 425 rwhp, what im saying is making 425 rwhp out of a bigger pulley (less boost) and cams would be the same thing as making 425 rwhp out of just the SC with a bigger pulley (more boost) if i where you i would just get a nice whipple or Kenne Bell and get a real safe tune. What state are you in?

·
Registered
870 Posts
NVM i just read your thread again and i finally understood it. I would think that you would need the BAP and i would get the spark plugs just to be safe. Combine that with a good tuner and youre set :)

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Brenspeed is a very good company to go with. Since your 4hrs away from them. I would do that. In your first post you say you want the Saleen stage 2 which cost $5,600. The stage 3 cost $5,900. The stage 3 would be a better deal for $300 more since it has the KB BAP and HTO spark plugs. Another thing you can ask if you call them is if they can swap the KB BAP with the GT500 fuel pump. Your choice if you wanna go with the GT500 pump or KB BAP. Hope this helps you a bit.

1 Day Installation- $650
Dyno Tune- ????

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
or you can buy a whipple HO kit for a few $100 cheaper and see if they'll install and tune the car for you

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Both are twin screws, thats the main similarity between the kits. Brenspeed will add the fuel pump for alittle extra money. I would just go ahead get the stage3, its an awesome all around kit and comes with everything you need, even better since you are taking it there to get installed and everything. I think they would install a whipple or KB but only specialize and mostly support Saleens now. The Saleen is a really good SC, can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Both are twin screws, thats the main similarity between the kits. Brenspeed will add the fuel pump for alittle extra money. I would just go ahead get the stage3, its an awesome all around kit and comes with everything you need, even better since you are taking it there to get installed and everything. I think they would install a whipple or KB but only specialize and mostly support Saleens now. The Saleen is a really good SC, can't go wrong with it.

I ask brenspeed why they didnt sell the whipple. He told me they were really the same supercharger. Dont know remember what exactly he said and didnt ask further as im not in the market for one right now but he just made it sould like they were the same thing with different names on them and some little differences.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Brenspeed is a good company and all, but they are official Saleen vendors now. They are pretty similiar but the HO Whipple kit comes with absolutely everything you need, including new fuel pump. Their intake setup is slightly different and the Whipple I believe is overall slighty more efficient and has more potential. KB has the most potential and is the biggest twin screw at 2.6.

·
Registered
161 Posts
05roush0090 Brenspeed has always been good to me and Mustangs is all they do, I wish I lived closer to them but I am In Texas. I like the fact that they test everything they sell, and they are not going to sell you crap. Every bit of information from Dave or Seth has always been helpful. Their tunes are always on the money and that is coming from people all around the United States, and I think they have done a few cars overseas. I hope this helps, plus Saleen has some new cars coming out with blown 302's!!!!!! Check them out at Saleen.com.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate your opinions fellas, I am looking at the 3.8 pulley, 39lb injectors, BAP or GT500 fuel pump, HTO plugs and the hot rod cams. I think it will put right around 420rwhp which is my goal for now. After I forge my internals (not sure when) then I will start thinking about getting the smaller pulleys!!!! Anticipation is going to kill me. Hopefully I can get this money saved up sooner rather than later.:yes

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Should be awesome, let us know how you like it. I was really close to buying their stage 3 with a gt500 fuel pump, upgraded heat exchanger, and inlet pipe upgrade about a month back. If I lived anywhere near them I would've definetly gone in and got that done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts