Modded Mustang Forums banner

Bright bulbs for new headlights but not ghettosmashers

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  zolen 
#1 ·
I just bought a set of blue oval industries euro clear diamond cut headlights, fog lights, and clear corner lights. Let me first say these are worth the money and totally made my car look way way better than the old faded ones. Now my prob is the bulbs that came with are not very bright at all. I am looking to make my fog lights alot brighter as well as the turn signal and head lights. I prob couldnt see much in the fog. I want to stick with the regular colors no ghetto blue or red. What is a decent bulb that wont short my electrical system, over heat my lights, and last a little while? I want it bright enough i can see decently in fog or on wooded not lit roads but also manageable for inner city driving. Oh and can I pop these lenses off to get the bulbs in or are they sealed? Thanks!

#2 ·
brighter lights are going to help in fog..and also if they pull tyoo much currect can burn a wire

#8 ·
HID is a completely different style of light. The silverstar and all stock type bulbs use halogen and a filimant much like an incandescent bulb. HID's use xenon gas and no filament, they produce light by sending an electrical arc through the gas, which glows much brighter than a halogen bulb while using less wattage at the same time. To get HID's you need a conversion kit with ballasts and bulbs.

#7 ·
Silverstar is going to be your best bet, like mentioned above. Get the top of the line ones and you will definitely notice a difference, they're bright white too. As long as you get the correct bulb style and wattage for your car, then you won't have to worry about burning wires.

#10 ·
Silverstars are great lights but they DO NOT last long at all. They have an 150 hour average life compared to a standard bulb has about 1000-1500hrs. I was buying them for another car of mine that takes an H7 bulb and was replacing them about every three or four months. For 2x the price and 1/10 of the life, I stopped buying them. They are a nice bulb but not that nice.

#12 ·
Silverstars are OK for halogens but HID kits are AMAZING! get one with a lower temp rating like 5000k or 6000k and you'll dramatically improve driving at night. The silverstars are no competition for HID's and you can get a HID kit on ebay for about the price of 2 sets of silverstars.

#14 ·
I would be careful getting those really cheap kits. A lot of times the cheap ones have problems starting, or the ballasts fail. I actually stopped installing supplied HID kits at my shop because they were such a headache. The failure rate was unbelievable and it was a pain dealing with customers who bought a kit for $100 and expected it to work like a $500 kit. If you do go that route, 4300k is the brightest and gives off the most lumens of light, the higher you go in k, the less light it they give off,and when you get past around 5000-6000k they start to get blue and purple.

On a side note, HID's aren't meant for reflector housings like you have, they are meant for projector housings. Jbig has HID's in his mustang with the reflector/diffuser housing and said they work fine so you shouldn't have any problems. If you put in projector style housings, you will notice the greatest difference.

#20 ·
Go with HIDs. They are incredible. Anyone who prefers anything else hasnt ever had HIDs. First of all, the light output is awesome, they are about 3 times brighter. They look cool, and as someone said before, they draw less current (35w vs. 55w+ for halogens) as far as reliability goes heres my $.02. I bought a set of HIDs 3years ago for my 01 GT. I had them for 2 years in that car then wrecked it badly. I hit the front right corner on an enbankment. It shattered both headlight housings, but the lights still worked. I bought an 03 Cobra to replace it and transferred the lights into it. They have been in the Cobra for 1 year now (total of 3years between both cars) with absolutely no problems. They always start up, never go out, they are by far the best modification I have ever done to either car. I also put some in my fog lights. Mine were like $229 from hidworld.com. Ive installed about 5 kits in mine, my dad's, and some friends' cars and they make the best kit ive seen. I had silverstars before the HIDs and they are just like regular halogens (which they are). The initial cost is high, but I promise you will love them. I easily spent $200 on bullshit PIAA and Silverstar bulbs in the 3 years before the HIDs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.