Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 94 Cobra has sitting in my barn for the last 6 years with a shattered tranny while I was in the Navy. Now that I'm back home I've started working to bring her back to life.

While driving down the highway back in the summer of 06 something happened and the shifter blew out of the tranny, bell housing had a few pieces break off, the tail housing craked all the way around, and a few other big cracks in the housing. Dropped the ds down onto the exhaust.

Finially located a good used t5 with bell housing off a 94 GT to do the swap. Picking it up tomorrow and installing it. Going to change out all the fluids, new battery, and see what happens. Still need to do some work with the brakes and other things before I get it on the road. Just want to hear it start up tomorrow.

·
aloha ke akua
13,177 Posts
Sounds awesome, man! Good luck. Post pics after you wash her up.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Id like to see it as well

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
good luck getting her going again :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Good luck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back home with the trans. Have to drop the old one out yet, just have one bolt on the crossbrace to remove and it will be out.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Good luck! I was in your position a year and half ago. Feels good to take it on that first drive.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got the trans and bell housing off. Noticed a couple broken studs and a hole in my driver side header. So I'm going to order some new ones and install while everything is taken off. So probably a week delay. Need a new mid pipe anyways since the ds dented the crap out of it when it fell on it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm about to order BBK LT's with O/R X. Have BBK shorties on there now, figure I'd go with something to change it up a bit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I went ahead and installed the bell housing and trans today. Here is a pic of the old one:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ouch, that trans met with a horrible death for sure! Nice to hear it started right up, keep us updated! Pics and vids are a must!!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I just finished replacing the U Joints and installed the driveshaft. Also hooked up the new speedo sensor. Would have went for a drive but we have a few inches of snow and the roads are all salty.

I only have the headers on, the studs that connect with the mid pipe are snapped and I get them out... Not sure what my next step will be on that. Also have new rotors and pads waiting to be installed. I'll probably wait until I know I'll have some time to drive before I'll throw those on. Other than that she is ready for the road!!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Post pics of the car, interior..... every thing

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
b/c we were 15 minutes away from each other...thanks for the invite derek! haha. jk

I have mine pulled out right now and no joke, mine is the same way but on the back on the shift pedestal. Cracked all the way down.

You know you are going to bunker or muncie in the spring with all of us. Dont let me down!

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
BTW-- did the studs snap off in the headers? Mine did the same on the one i have now.

I took a long screw driver and "punched them out" from the top.

Also, you can take a grinder, dremel, whatever, get a bolt that is too big, then cut of the head, grind down the sides square and manuever your arm/hand from underneathe and tap in the new bolts. by tappping i mean pound them in but dont f-- the threads up, ya know what i am saying?>

the same fun stuff happened when i put on the new x pipe. anchors away senor

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BTW-- did the studs snap off in the headers? Mine did the same on the one i have now.

I took a long screw driver and "punched them out" from the top.

Also, you can take a grinder, dremel, whatever, get a bolt that is too big, then cut of the head, grind down the sides square and manuever your arm/hand from underneathe and tap in the new bolts. by tappping i mean pound them in but dont f-- the threads up, ya know what i am saying?>

the same fun stuff happened when i put on the new x pipe. anchors away senor
Yeah they broke off in the headers. I'm going to grind off what sticking out then try to drill them out. I dont want to have to pull the headers so I'm going to try everything possible before I give up.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
b/c we were 15 minutes away from each other...thanks for the invite derek! haha. jk

I have mine pulled out right now and no joke, mine is the same way but on the back on the shift pedestal. Cracked all the way down.

You know you are going to bunker or muncie in the spring with all of us. Dont let me down!

Haha you always seem busy. Plus no one wants to help me in my freezing ass cold garage haha. I'll def. be hitting the strip in the spring. Just need to find another tranny because I know this one probably wont last many hard launches if any.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts