Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a project I have been working on for quite some time now. I am not showing some parts because I am just plain tired of my designs and ideas being copied. I built 3 of these units almost 6 years ago using the overdrive frictions from a 4r100. The design worked but balance was difficult due to unevenly spaced splines inside the front cover that had to be that way for those frictions. Thickness of the spline was also difficult as lasers do not cut very clean above 1/2 inch and 5/8 was defintely required. I decided to rethink the design and make some changes. This is now the third of these I have built and I expect enough parts to build 10 more of these very soon.
the first 3 I had the splines cut exact, I learned the release oil was not sufficient so I had to use a die grider to cut the reliefs in. The lockup system has 85 square inches of useable friction (another 15 under very little load) and lockup is strong, too strong for most people but that doesn't stop some. Will the transmission handle 100% hold,time will tell. I used the strongest clutch from the transmission inside the converter.The intermediate clutch assembly. Barking tires on lockup is almost mandatory. In the future I intend to build a bolt together version so that racers using this transmission can service the converter themself. I put this in modular section because I really built it with the high rpm loving modulars in mind. Low stall is not an option with this setup.Enjoy...
Alan

Edit picture uploads not working, anyone interested in seeing this message me and I will give you a link
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rod, still don't know why it wouldn't let me post the pics.
Alan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A video clip of testing the unit
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top