Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's my dilemma. I was pulling out from a yield sign at an intersection and when I pressed the clutch in it felt very weird. I immediately pulled into a parking lot at the walmart neighborhood market. My clutch felt fine all the way home and only has about 25k on it. The cable and quadrant/adjuster were replaced with Steeda ones about the same time. I'm pretty sure the cable snapped. I'm only about a mile from my house and close to my wifes work so I walked to her work which is a little embarassing and took her car so I could at least get home. I had to pick up my son too so that complicated things a bit.

Now, I have to contend with a busy 4 way intersection in order to get home or take a slightly longer route to avoid the light. I don't really wanna pay a towing bill since I'm so close to home and no nearby stores even have a new cable in stock. I plan on going back to my car after I pick my wife up from work. Has anyone attempted driving short distances without a clutch? Any tips? :facepalm:

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Yes, but not from a stop. That's a whole different ordeal. It's not terribly difficult to replace a clutch cable with nothing more than a jack, jack stand and some screwdrivers though. Taking a friend and spending an hour in the back of the walmart parking lot may not be an ideal way to spend a saturday afternoon, but it might save you a few hundo for a new clutch (or worse, transmission) if you blow it out trying to shift without releasing it. Alternatively, hire a tow truck.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
And make sure you get a Ford oem cable. Aftermarkets suck.

And I'd replace it in the parking lot. Sucks but that's old cars

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got it home. I waited until later at night and just had my wife follow me with the 4-ways on and I just left it in 1st gear the whole time since I was so close to home. I was gonna replace it in the parking lot but the cable wasn't in stock at any of the close auto parts stores. I have to drive 35-40 mins to one tomorrow morning to get it. I'm gonna try and price an OEM ford one tomorrow but I'm sure it will be quite expensive.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,527 Posts
Has anyone attempted driving short distances without a clutch?
Yes. A couple of times. I've done it in cars and on a motorcycle. Once the clutch/pressure plate went out in Illinois and I drove home to Indiana. Driving through towns suck but an open highway isn't bad.

Here is how you do it. When coming to a stop put the transmission in neutral. After you are stopped you shut off the motor and put the transmission in first. When you are ready to go start the motor. When the motor fires you can take off. You rev match when shifting gears. Pray that you don't hit another red light or stop sign. When you do shift the transmission into neutral, slow to a stop, shut off the motor and do it all over again.

In older cars you didn't have to have the clutch pedal pressed down. On my Harley I didn't have to hold the clutch down. The motor would just start in gear. On modern cars you will have to hold the clutch pedal down to get the engine to fire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
OP, I've been through several clutch quadrant, firewall adjuster, and adjustable cable setups and I will tell you that the only company that won't leave you stranded is Maximum Motorsports. Being as you are a father and husband like me, take this into consideration before you purchase an OEM cable.

I would hate to be in a situation where you were stuck in traffic uphill and the cable were to snap.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
They aren't bad.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-clutch-cable-9604.html

use code 14fbookcode for 6% off.

I used AM's generic cable in the past and it was crap. The cable was made of cheap metal and it sucked. I ended up using UPR's quadrant and firewall adjuster with an OEM clutch cable and I was golden. The OEM cable is so much beefier then cheap crap from a autoparts store.

As for what Kris.R said, I'd put my faith in an MM cable as well. It's 10$ cheaper and AM does state it as such:

" Multi-Layered Construction.
More Header Clearance.
Longer Clutch Cable Life.
Ford OEM Part.
Fits 1982-2004 Mustangs."

See the 4th line. That's interesting to me...Also this is too:

"Genuine Ford Part. Maximum Motorsports technicians tested many aftermarket alternatives and concluded that the genuine Ford clutch cable is far superior to anything in the aftermarket. That's why they decided that a genuine Ford part was the ideal choice for high performance clutch parts like their adjusters and quadrants."

https://www.americanmuscle.com/maximum-motorsports-clutch-cable.html

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to see some activity on here. I actually ordered a OEM Ford one after reading all the horror stories online about the others. Amazon actually ended up have it for around $75. Unfortunately, it wasn't prime so it may take a bit to get to me. There is a ford dealer that has one 2 hours away from me. I may just call in sick on monday and get it rather than my wife and I trying to live with one vehicle for what may be a whole week since my wife has off that day.

Here's the one I bought. Cheaper than AM or LMR...etc for anyone else looking.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NU1NVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This morning I went ahead and also removed the whole cable and I can't find any imperfections in the cable. I'm guessing it must have stretched? However, it looks like it gouged the clutch fork a bit near where the retaining nut sits. Will this still be ok? It also looked to be like it wasn't even hooked into the quadrant anymore. Not sure if the stretching made it pop out?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
it so be fine. look at the quadrant end of the cable and make sure it is intact, take a prybar and a large socket. pry the clutch fork forward. stick the socket in there go attach your cableto your quadrant. then remove the socket and release the clutch fork with the prybar and test it.

+1 with whomever said go own clutch cable. I removed my ford racing quadrant and now have a maximum motorsports one that uses modified(just remove the plastic and rubber piece on the firewall end) oem cables. they also sell the cable. it is 10x smoother than any adjustable cable.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. Good to see some activity on here. I actually ordered a OEM Ford one after reading all the horror stories online about the others. Amazon actually ended up have it for around $75. Unfortunately, it wasn't prime so it may take a bit to get to me. There is a ford dealer that has one 2 hours away from me. I may just call in sick on monday and get it rather than my wife and I trying to live with one vehicle for what may be a whole week since my wife has off that day.

Here's the one I bought. Cheaper than AM or LMR...etc for anyone else looking.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NU1NVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This morning I went ahead and also removed the whole cable and I can't find any imperfections in the cable. I'm guessing it must have stretched? However, it looks like it gouged the clutch fork a bit near where the retaining nut sits. Will this still be ok? It also looked to be like it wasn't even hooked into the quadrant anymore. Not sure if the stretching made it pop out?

So you're running an aftermarket adjustable cable. The fork looks fine but I'd bet money that cable is stretched or broke internally. Wait til you get the oem cable. It's so much beefier.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to update this but I got the OEM cable installed and the cable is about the same diameter as the adjustable steeda cable I had on there. However, the clutch definitely is much more smooth and feels more like a "modern" clutch...lol

Still surprised the Steeda only lasted like 25k though...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to have trouble with the cable sheath becoming soft due to exhaust heat......push clutch and cable sheath collapses making the clutch feel goofy or not disengage at all!!

Wrapped new cable with heat shield and never had another problem so make sure your problem isn't exhaust heat related!!

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
That's shocking from a brand like Steeda.

I only trust oem on certain parts. The clutch cable is one of them.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Im not shocked. I havent bought too much from them but everything I have has been kind of a dissapointment. I have a tri ax I used to run in my 07 gt but I didnt like how notchy it was and the fact that if you want to run a stock shift knob you have to get another shifter stick, which was a redulous amount of money from what I can remember. I remember calling them asking about it and the person had no clue what I was talking about, then he was a jackass and actually hung up on me. If I hadnt gotten the shifter for such a good price and wasnt so adament about running a bullitt shift knob I would have told them to shove it and went with another brand. Another thing I dont like is how notchy their shifter compared to the identical looking pro 5.0. I told another member on s197 that and the steeda rep came on and jumped down my throat like I was talking about his mom lol. I also got my brisk racing plugs from them and I remember the shipping took something like 3 days even though it was during the week and theyre literally 3 hours away... There was something else I wanted to add but I cant remember now.

Anyway I dont want to derail this thread and not trying to spread hate but I havent had a great experience with them myself anyway.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
Im not shocked. I havent bought too much from them but everything I have has been kind of a dissapointment. I have a tri ax I used to run in my 07 gt but I didnt like how notchy it was and the fact that if you want to run a stock shift knob you have to get another shifter stick, which was a redulous amount of money from what I can remember. I remember calling them asking about it and the person had no clue what I was talking about, then he was a jackass and actually hung up on me. If I hadnt gotten the shifter for such a good price and wasnt so adament about running a bullitt shift knob I would have told them to shove it and went with another brand. Another thing I dont like is how notchy their shifter compared to the identical looking pro 5.0. I told another member on s197 that and the steeda rep came on and jumped down my throat like I was talking about his mom lol. I also got my brisk racing plugs from them and I remember the shipping took something like 3 days even though it was during the week and theyre literally 3 hours away... There was something else I wanted to add but I cant remember now.

Anyway I dont want to derail this thread and not trying to spread hate but I havent had a great experience with them myself anyway.
This is interesting. While I don't have a single Steeda part on my car, I'm shocked to hear this from a company like Steeda. Good to know.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts

This is interesting. While I don't have a single Steeda part on my car, I'm shocked to hear this from a company like Steeda. Good to know.
I dont want to say avoid steeda but Ive not had a good experience with them myself. And I dont like that they dont offer free shipping like american muscle does.

I actually have steeda sport springs on my 02 that the po installed and I really like the look. No complains here.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I bought the bbk kit with the quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster for my sixxer, and after 500 miles my cable had stretched and needed to be adjusted again. It's just like guitar strings, a few adjustments after some use and they settle fine, but kind of a pain. When i did the clutch on my GT, I just went for the FRPP stuff instead and after 1000 miles I haven't had to mess with it and I've been much happier. FRPP for the win.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts