Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on my way to lunch when I felt my car bog for a split second, kept watching everything and it did it a couple more times maybe 3 minutes later, come up to a red light and she dies on me. Try to start it with the key and it just turns over and nothing, put it in gear and let off the clutch and nothing. My first assumption is fuel, plug in my tuner to datalog and I'm seeing 40lbs but still no start. Ideas?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Checked the battery terminals and they are clean and tight, I can smell the fuel, and every few minutes the car tries to start but barely.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
If you're showing fuel pressure from the EEC and smelling fuel it appears that you are getting fuel.... at least enough to pressurize the system. If you can get it to run, even for a split second, see what the fuel pressure is. If it's still maintaining you can most certainly move on to spark.

On the off chance of an intermittent short have you checked your ECM and associated ignition fuses?

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
Does the lights and everything still work? I have had two cars that have die out when i was driving one of them it turned out to be the alternator that was my Acura Vigo and the other it turned out the be the computer crashed on the car that was my 97 Grand Prix gtp. It was and electrical issue on both of those rides that caused it to go out while i was on the road.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Leaking somewhere after the maf?

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got the car home, don't think it's the alternator, haven't checked fuses yet, don't think there's a leak after the maf because it's pretty close to the tb and the shop that tuned my car checked all the piping.

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just pulled the plugs and they look like hell, think the cars been slowly fouling them. Pulled the plugs and cleaned them up, letting the cylinders air out and then I'll be putting them back in to see if anything changes.

·
( o )( o )
276 Posts
If the plugs don't do the trick, check the crank sensor. If that sensor is NFG, it won't give the ECM a signal to fire the plugs. Only saying this since it sounds like its not a fuel issue and if all fuses are ok.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Just pulled the plugs and they look like hell, think the cars been slowly fouling them. Pulled the plugs and cleaned them up, letting the cylinders air out and then I'll be putting them back in to see if anything changes.

The car is obviously fueling... there could be insufficient fueling but it's fueling if it's fouling plugs and they're wet. Move on to spark. Pull a COP, remove the boot and place the tip close to any engine bolt while someone attempts to crank the car. Does it arc?

·
Registered
43 Posts
did it start up fine once it cooled off a little bit? i had this problem in an old car where it would drive fine but once warmed it would bog down if i gave it a certain amount of gas and would sometimes die at stops taking a while to turn back on. it would try to turn over for sometimes minutes sometimes up to an hour before working again, turned out to be the temp control sensor. apparently it wore down and was telling the engine it was colder than it actually was, so even though the gauges inside were correct, the fuel:air ratio was being sent as more fuel heavy than needed causing the engine to shut off

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
sounds like the Camshaft position sensor.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
dang that sucks. hope you get it figured out!

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Does it fire up for a second and instantly die? If so, i'd look towards the IAC valve.
If this is the case the OP would be able to keep the engine running with no issues by using the gas pedal.... this would also not soak and foul the spark plugs.

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all the input guys I really do appreciate it. I pulled all the plugs and they weren't in the best of shape even though they have 250 miles on them, I checked for spark and she definitely has good spark lol. So I left the plugs out, unplugged the injectors and unplugged the inertia switch and cranked it over per instructions of my engine builder and man did it wreak of fuel. Let it air out for maybe 3 hours while me and my housemate cleaned the garage (it was very very dirty), cleaned the plugs up and reinstalled everything and it turned on but it ran like absolute crap! I sat there scratching my head because I was datalogging the entire time and the fuel pressure was fine but the car struggled to stay on but the fact that it ran immediately identified the problem as the plugs... I forgot to plug the maf in lmao!! Plugged it in and she fired right up!

I will be giving my tuner a call tomorrow to let him know the tune is fouling the plugs and that it needs to be addressed asap. In no way am I giving my tuner a negative reputation, him and his shop have always been extremely professional and the work they have done on my car has always been finished in a timely manner and with impeccable workmanship.

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And go figure the car runs fine so I go for a drive and 10 minutes later I'm in the same situation. Having a friend pick me up so we can go to autozone for new plugs. I'll go back to shifting at 2,500 rpm until the tune gets fixed...

So frustrated with my luck in these past few months.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Definitely no vacuum leaks or anything? Iat is reading okay?

I don't believe it's tune related. Mine suddenly had gone rich at wot that's it. Why I have no idea? But if your just cruising and it's fouling the plugs, something's not right.

How much vacuum is it pulling at idle?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts