Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've had my car a few months now and checked the oil several times, but this last time I noticed the bottom tip of the dipstick is missing.
It appears there's a hole in the dipstick to mark the full location and one to mark the add oil level. The dipstick has broken around the bottom hole.
My guess is there's probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch of it missing.
Reading the oil level should still be fine, but I'm a bit nervous where the end of the dipstick went.
If it fell down into the oil, would there be any possible harm to the engine or would the oil filter catch it?
I'm thinking the logical time the dipstick tip would have broken off is when checking the oil and running it through a napkin to clear the old oil off.
In that case, the missing piece would probably have been tossed away by a previous owner.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
So it has been missing the whole time? If you did it, then it probably got caught by the magnetic drain plug in the oil pan. If it was done previous to you then it was probably long ago drained out. Next oil change you could check to see if there is anything in the pan.

·
Registered
923 Posts
no dude you are FAWKED that car is useless. as a matter of fact it is just a burden on you as it sits. give it to me and I, being a good Samaritan, will dispose of it for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts