Modded Mustang Forums banner

Broken shift fork

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  LGHTNG02GT 
#1 ·
When the mechanic opened the transmission what does he find but a broken 3rd and 5th gear shift fork. This is going on to be the second shift fork thats broken. Would anybody know of any heady duty shifts fork out there?

#7 ·
you really shouldnt need these if you have a good short throw and have a good set of adjustments to the stops! if so they are said to be like 100% protecting of the shift forks!

#3 ·
Oh well. It looked interesting but got a good deal at the dealership for 3-4th 5-rev forks so got the deal. Its now hopefully it makes it in for christmas time. Does anyone think that changing the input shaft to the 28 spline really makes a difference?

#5 ·
huh.... how would i know if my short shifter has a shift stop? Not to sure its the hurst short throw shifter.

Oh and LGHTNG02GT the front bumper on your mustang looks bad ass.

#6 ·
its the stock 99/01 cobra bumper with a chin spoiler (unless im blind :cool:) lol

but as far as the shifter, most of the top brands, hurst, steeda, pro 5.0, mgw and b&m all should have shift stops...if not your severly getting ripped off on that huge price of one of these sts's!

you should be able to see adjustment screws/ bolts at the base of the shifter

#8 · (Edited)
did you do the install on it??? if so, there should be 2 little bolts in the front and back of the cup on the bottom of the shifter. they are not set when you order the shifter, you gotta do it yourself. when you shift hard without stops, the only thing left to stop the shifter is the forks bottoming out and because the shift forks are made from some crappy white metal, they will break off after some of this abuse. i got a B&M pro ripper and i abuse the crap out of my car and have not had any issues in the 80,000 mi i've had it.
&&thanks for the praise on the bumper. :cool: it is a stock 99/01 cobra with a mach 1 chin on it. those bumper are hard as frick to find for a good price.

#9 ·
did you do the install on it??? if so, there should be 2 little bolts in the front and back of the cup on the bottom of the shifter. they are not set when you order the shifter, you gotta do it yourself. when you shift hard without stops, the only thing left to stop the shifter is the forks bottoming out and because the shift forks are made from some crappy white metal, they will break off after some of this abuse. i got a B&M pro ripper and i abuse the crap out of my car and have not had any issues in the 80,000 mi i've had it.
&&thanks for the praise on the bumper. :cool: it is a stock 99/01 cobra with a mach 1 chin on it. those bumper are hard a frick to find for a good price.
+1 without the stops adjusted you really might as well put the stock shifter back in and cut the handle (lol) :cool:

and yeah everyone does the 03/04 cobra bumper, im not a huge fan of the 99/01 one but i like to see someone doing something different!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.