Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a fairly budget 351w motor build. Pulled whole drivetrain out of a '94 F250. Dropping into a 1968 F100.
Few questions for yall:
-Was it only Lightning motors that were roller or this one too?
-If not, what is needed exactly for the conversion?
-What off the shelf cam (nice sounding & torquey) would u recommend that will work with the stock '94 computer/electronics/AOD & 3.73's without having to get a custom tune?
Also we picked up a 351w GT40 tubular intake & some GT40P heads that need to be rebuilt (3 bent valves)
-Can u recommend a complete valvetrain that u would rebuild these heads/motor with?
Any combo recommendations/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
i'm not 100% positive with the 94 F series/Broncos but I believe the 351 was still speed density until 1996. Another note, the E4OD trans which you probably have is controlled by the engine computer which makes it a PITA to swap out the computer or switch to a MAF system using Mustang parts. I've seen rigs where people have used an EEC4 from a Mustang for the engine and spliced in the stock computer for the transmission. That being said, you can still tune and modify the speed density stuff but with a little less flexibility.

The truck heads on the 90's 351 suck, the GT40P are better but man, it's a 351, I'd personally forget about rebuilding the GT40p's and look around for some good used heads. I know, where do you stop, there is always something better for slightly more money. That slighly more keeps adding up.

Now if you can find a mass air 302 engine/AOD trans combo + wiring harness out of a Mustang and get it to fit in your F100, you would be good to go. Bolt on some stuff and roll on

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Truck heads are just E7s, same as the mustangs had on them.

The motor could be a roller or it might not be. If the casting number near the starter starts with F4, the block at least has the ability to accept the factory roller setup, but may still have non-roller lifters in it. Pop the intake and find out.

If it is a non-roller block, the conversion isn't worth it, just put a solid roller in it and call it a day, or buy the $500 retro fit roller lifters.

Not much as far as cam is going to work with a stock truck computer other than a stock truck cam.

Putting the GT40 heads and intake on there, will basically be like having a lightning motor which was rated at like 235 hp. You'll still get smoked by civics... Stock replacement parts will work fine with the truck cam.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
goin in an old F100, I dont know if all out speed is the top goal, maybe it is, wouldnt be the first time I was wrong.

The 351 lightning was under rated. My old co worker dyno'd his with 100k on the motor and it put down 229 and 331ft lobs

granted thats not ball bustin power but not bad for a 351 with 302 heads/intake

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I did almost the same thing you did for my F250 tow rig. If your not planning on running a stock roller set up with the dog bones and spider, any block will do. You can make any block a roller block with aftermarket rollers with a link bar. I had a none roller block and converted it to accept the spider. I know its not the correct way to go for power but this is for towing and never goes over 3500 rpms. I used this all last summer and it did very good. I have about 1800 stuck into and that includes the machine work and the 383 stroker kit I put in it

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
If you do that, often the oil band of the roller lifters comes part way out of the bore or very close to the top of the bore on a decent cam.

Def, want to use the roller block if you are going to use the stock style roller lifters.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I havent had a problem with it but come spring im changing it out. Im getting a came with more torque for towing.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
goin in an old F100, I dont know if all out speed is the top goal, maybe it is, wouldnt be the first time I was wrong.

The 351 lightning was under rated. My old co worker dyno'd his with 100k on the motor and it put down 229 and 331ft lobs

granted thats not ball bustin power but not bad for a 351 with 302 heads/intake
That is still seriously choked, 0.65 hp per cube. The lightining might have been moderately underrated, but not by much when completely stock. To the point at hand, 400 hp is within reach with a decent set of heads, cam, and intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts