Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice:

I have a 2001 V6 Mustang with a blown engine that I got for nearly nothing. Since I have to rebuild the engine anyway, and have virtually no money tied up in it, I figured I should go crazy and try to get 400+ HP out of it. The only problem is that I only have about $1,000 to complete the build. Time isn't really a concern, and I want it to be reliable.

I know the best option is to go with forced induction. However, I have never dealt with forced induction before, and I was wondering what I should upgrade internally in order to handle the extra pressure. Also, is the stock auto transmission able to handle 400+HP, or will I have to upgrade that as well? I haven't been able to find a straight answer online anywhere. I am aware of the fact that I will be needing to upgrade the axle and suspension to put the extra power to the ground (The suspension is shot anyways).

So, what do you think? Any ideas?

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
What do you think a more realistic goal would be? Or, would I be better off doing a V8 swap and beefing that up to 400?
You'd most likely run into the same issue, not enough money. the 4.6 for these years mustangs only had 260hp and to get to 400+ you'd need a supercharger or turbo which is $2000+.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Maybe a little more money build the bottom end, buy a powerstroke turbo for next to nothing, cold and hot side done and tune and you’d be around the 400 hp mark but what drives the price up are the little things. Not to mention the things you dont think about such as tires, suspension, and tuning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts