Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I’ve been a member of the mustang community for a little over a year now and loving it! My stock seats are garbage and falling apart, and it seems much smarter to upgrade to racing seats than to reupholster or buy new stock ones. But the problem is I’m a teenager and don’t have a budget of $1,500. Any advice on decent seats that aren’t going to fall apart but will at least do the job? I’d like to stay in the $800 area or so, doesn’t need to last 10 years but obviously don’t want garbage. I’m not so naive as to believe I’ll get sparco or recaro quality for leas than a grand but I’d like something on par or at least a bit better than stock. If it helps I’m only daily-ing it and I am not going to track it. I’ve been looking at CipherAuto seats and seen pretty mixed reviews so if anyone has a set from them, a review would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I’ve never been a fan of racing seats in anything that isn’t a racecar. Do yourself a favor and get new foam and upholstery instead of racing seats. Your back will thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve never been a fan of racing seats in anything that isn’t a racecar. Do yourself a favor and get new foam and upholstery instead of racing seats. Your back will thank you.

I’m rocking a 2003, so I’ve got SN95 seats. Your picture shows you’ve got an S197 which has far better stock seats, I’ve ridden in an SN95 with new condition seats and foam and it was still not comfortable at all. Racing seats at least have the styling pick if they are not much more comfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone! I’ve been a member of the mustang community for a little over a year now and loving it! My stock seats are garbage and falling apart, and it seems much smarter to upgrade to racing seats than to reupholster or buy new stock ones. But the problem is I’m a teenager and don’t have a budget of $1,500. Any advice on decent seats that aren’t going to fall apart but will at least do the job? I’d like to stay in the $800 area or so, doesn’t need to last 10 years but obviously don’t want garbage. I’m not so naive as to believe I’ll get sparco or recaro quality for leas than a grand but I’d like something on par or at least a bit better than stock. If it helps I’m only daily-ing it and I am not going to track it. I’ve been looking at CipherAuto seats and seen pretty mixed reviews so if anyone has a set from them, a review would be appreciated!
Check online marketplace etc you can find like new used seats the good brands for around $800/up maybe some less just buying the two fronts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 2001 Cobra that had very comfy seats - much better than the GTs. And they had pretty good bolstering if keeping yourself planted is a goal. Look for take outs or cars being parted - 99 - 04 Cobras are great and should be available within your budget.

True "racing" seats, like Kirkey, OMP, etc., are not very comfy for a DD; they don't tilt, are very light and generally don't have a lot of padding but they are cheap relatively speaking. Aftermarket "drivers" seats, that tilt and have decent bolstering and support, like the Recaro, Sparco or Corbeau, are more expensive. If I were in your shoes, I would take a look at a set of Corbeaus that tilt. I have classic Recaro LS-Cs in my 86 GT and factory Recaros in my s550. They are very nice but expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a 2001 Cobra that had very comfy seats - much better than the GTs. And they had pretty good bolstering if keeping yourself planted is a goal. Look for take outs or cars being parted - 99 - 04 Cobras are great and should be available within your budget.

True "racing" seats, like Kirkey, OMP, etc., are not very comfy for a DD; they don't tilt, are very light and generally don't have a lot of padding but they are cheap relatively speaking. Aftermarket "drivers" seats, that tilt and have decent bolstering and support, like the Recaro, Sparco or Corbeau, are more expensive. If I were in your shoes, I would take a look at a set of Corbeaus that tilt. I have classic Recaro LS-Cs in my 86 GT and factory Recaros in my s550. They are very nice but expensive.
I do love the cobra seats! They do seem much better, the problem is all the ones I’ve seen the people are asking ridiculous amounts, like 1200 or more. If I could find a cheap set somewhere I’d definitely grab em. And yeah true fixed back racing seats I’m definitely not looking at, anything I buy will definitely be adjustable, because it isn’t for a race car, it’s for a daily

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
If you really think racing seats will be comfortable go for it but you will be disappointed. If you have cloth seats, some of them are comfortable. I’ve had an 02 Gt with leather, 00 Gt with cloth, 98 with cloth and my current 00 Gt with leather. The 98 was probably the most comfortable because of the give the cloth had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts