Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build this car. To have a little fun. Not sure if i want to do turbo or super charger. Thought? Also internals, i was thinking stock crank, stock heads, replace rods and pistons. I would like to buy little at a time until i have everything but not sure where i should start.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,526 Posts
Start with sitting down and defining your goals for the car. Do you want it to be a street/strip car? Autocross? Not all mods are good for all purposes. Your goals for your car will help you decide which mods are necessary and which to avoid.

You mentioned replacing the stock rods and pistons. What is your horsepower goal? With a power adder its pretty easy to safely achieve 400 rwhp. Add cams and you can safely get to near 450 rwhp. Your end horsepower goal will also help you to determine other mods such as gears.

You might want to scan through this thread. People sometimes over mod their cars for their purpose and learn to hate them. I hated a couple of mods that I did and eventually replaced them. I hated my Flowmaster mufflers because of the drone and I hated solid upper control arms because of all the noise. I was neutral on long-tube headers. I haven't taken them off but I wouldn't do them again.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/239957-mods-you-regret.html

One other thing: Modding is expensive. We have had several forum members in the past who have purchased a lot of parts that they never put on the car because they ran out of money. Plan your build and build to the plan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
5.0 Coyote rods are great for budget builds and can handle upwards to 650hp safely, and usually cost $30 per rod and fit in the 4.6 motor. Pistons will be by your choice as how much boost you will be pushing. I would also like to mention that the 4.6 2V's crank can safely handle about 400hp. If you choose to go more, you will be on borrowed time with stock internals.

Turbos are fun to build and drive as are Supercharged motors. Like the previous poster stated, you need to sit down and figure out your end goals with this build. GL.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
I'd start with gears. Best bang for the buck. I personally went 4.10 but that's up to you. Next is flsfc. Stiffens up the frame. Third look into a drop. I went with Steeda sport springs. They advertise 1.25" but I'm guessing since I'm a vert I got more because they yielded me a 1.5" drop with new poly isolators in place.

Lastly I'd go centrifugal. Skip all the bolt ons and hype. While I have long tubes and every other bolt on you can get I wish I did a vortech and gears from the jump.

Good luck! Let us know what route you take.

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
I disagree with the stock cast crank. That thing can easily push 600hp. Its been done all over the forums.
Yeah, but if you're already in the block replacing the rods and pistons, it's totally worth it to just replace the crank as well. Seems like a waste to take it all apart and half-build it.

·
Administrator
33,193 Posts
Yeah, but if you're already in the block replacing the rods and pistons, it's totally worth it to just replace the crank as well. Seems like a waste to take it all apart and half-build it.
that applies to just about any aspect of modding a car lol

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
How else do you think I ended up with a car where the only parts that came from the factory are the dashboard, the 8.8 rear and the shell itself?

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,215 Posts
How else do you think I ended up with a car where the only parts that came from the factory are the dashboard, the 8.8 rear and the shell itself?
And I'm pissed when I just had to do bolt on mods and repairs. I want my car running and when it's running...i still don't drive it. Blah

·
Registered
730 Posts
I did a Vortech V1 on a bone stock engine from pan to throttle body and pushed 347whp on conservative tune. Also has 3.73 gears and 3200 stall. It's great, and now I'm getting rid of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Evermore the torque and rwhp always wanting more the best and first mod to research is your suspension. Where you want your car to sit on the road and how it handles. As previous posts say what are you planning on doing with it? Saturday night looky here what i got? Or ripping down the quarter mile? Completely different suspensions end all be all where you goin with this build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts