Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built an 8.8" rear? Does anyone out there make parts for them? I am working with Lethal Performance to do a twin turbo setup on my car and one of the things I am caught on is the rear end. I had one of my guys tell me that he can't get any parts for mine due to the speed sensor and ABS parts. I have quotes so far anywhere from $3500 to $5100 for a 9" assembly with a locker and so on. I wrote Currie yesterday to see if they make anything or what they have to offer. We are planning for over 1,000 at the wheels so I just want to make sure I have the right stuff, but would love to keep the stock rear end assembly with upgrade parts if at all possible.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Has anyone built an 8.8" rear? Does anyone out there make parts for them? I am working with Lethal Performance to do a twin turbo setup on my car and one of the things I am caught on is the rear end. I had one of my guys tell me that he can't get any parts for mine due to the speed sensor and ABS parts. I have quotes so far anywhere from $3500 to $5100 for a 9" assembly with a locker and so on. I wrote Currie yesterday to see if they make anything or what they have to offer. We are planning for over 1,000 at the wheels so I just want to make sure I have the right stuff, but would love to keep the stock rear end assembly with upgrade parts if at all possible.
Search this forum, there were a couple threads in the past two or three months talking about the rear diffs in the 8.8" housing.

I know nothing about the subject first hand so can't be of more help. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Generally when you go ultra-extreme on one part (like 1000 rwhp), you have to go ultra-extreme on everything else, like rearend, transmission, fuel system, suspension etc etc. No room for skimping or halfway measures anywhere. What you gonna do with that 1000 rwhp?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Generally when you go ultra-extreme on one part (like 1000 rwhp), you have to go ultra-extreme on everything else, like rearend, transmission, fuel system, suspension etc etc. What you gonna do with that 1000 rwhp or just a pretty number on a sheet of paper?
No sir, built 6-speed, full 10 point cage, bogarts and street legal slicks, carbon fiber driveshaft, complete adjustable rear suspension, tubular front end, built block, and 22psi looking for low 9's in a street legal car that I can take to shootouts and such. I know I have to go radical with the rear end, just was curious if they made parts for us for the 8.8 or if I have to go to a 9"

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Your build and goals are not that different from ours. We're running a 9 inch Currie and using 22lbs boost on a single turbo. We're looking for low 9s too. Very few folk getting consistent 9s with a stick though. Most use a 4r70w which is what we had until we went to a glide very recently, during our latest rebuild.

Big difference between us is that we're looking to get there with as little hp as necessary, and our car is no longer street legal, so we can take liberties with weight savings (a/c, sound system etc all gone).

Exciting build and good luck.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your build and goals are not that different from ours. We're running a 9 inch Currie and using 22lbs boost on a single turbo. We're looking for low 9s too. Very few folk getting consistent 9s with a stick though. Most use a 4r70w which is what we had until we went to a glide very recently, during our latest rebuild.

Big difference between us is that we're looking to get there with as little hp as necessary, and our car is no longer street legal, so we can take liberties with weight savings (a/c, sound system etc all gone).

Exciting build and good luck. Checkout Chevykiller on another forum. He can tell you about 9s and keeping car a daily.
I'm not looking for it to be a daily either. Just something that if I want to take to a show, I can. I wanted to be unique, way too many guys with big big blowers on their Shelby's so I decided on the Hellion kit. The 1,000 hp goal is more of a shocker number for the shows if you get where I am going with that. The stick is simply because, its fun! I am not looking for the most consistent car, I have a bracket vehicle for that, so, its just going to be a radical fun street legal car that I can take to mustang events and such and have a good time with.

Would love to hear more about your build. I am going to be going with a tri-pump fuel system, what are you guys going to be running?

·
Registered
180 Posts
currently building mine...
8.8 rear
moser 31 spline axels
torsen t2r diff
ford racing 3:73 gears
all new bearings

check out fordracing.com they have everything you'll need.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
currently building mine...
8.8 rear
moser 31 spline axels
torsen t2r diff
ford racing 3:73 gears
all new bearings

check out fordracing.com they have everything you'll need.
That will hold over 1,000 horse at the wheels?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
As power/boost levels went up, we migrated from GT500 duals to a triple pump system. Presently installing small return-style fuel cell. Much simpler, lighter, and better positioned. We also saved 100+ lbs going from a 4r70w to a 2 speed powerglide. The glide is also simpler, easy to upgrade. We had to fashion custom brackets to get the GM tranny into the Ford.

I don't pay much attention to rwhp numbers, since they are so inconsistent between dyno types and operators. If car hits 9.3 next time out, I'll be happy if dynosheet shows 200 rwhp...lol. With the overall 200+ weight loss about 700 rwhp on our extremely conservative and heavy loaded mustangdyno...should drop us plenty from the [email protected] car that ran last time, with fouled plugs and a motor that was ready to pop (which it did)

The Hellion is a really good looking system. Should show well.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As power/boost levels went up, we migrated from GT500 duals to a triple pump system. Presently installing small return-style fuel cell. Much simpler, lighter, and better positioned. We also saved 100+ lbs going from a 4r70w to a 2 speed powerglide. The glide is also simpler, easy to upgrade. We had to fashion custom brackets to get the GM tranny into the Ford.

I don't pay much attention to rwhp numbers, since they are so inconsistent between dyno types and operators. If car hits 9.3 next time out, I'll be happy if dynosheet shows 200 rwhp...lol. With the overall 200+ weight loss about 700 rwhp on our extremely conservative and heavy loaded mustangdyno...should drop us plenty from the [email protected] car that ran last time, with fouled plugs and a motor that was ready to pop (which it did)

The Hellion is a really good looking system. Should show well.
I am rather interested in your build. Sounds like quite a stout setup! I talked to Darrell from Currie today, he said the only way to really go is a 9" which he came back at $3600 so thats right there with Moser, guess its just me making a choice at that point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts