Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm planning on building my 4.0 Jeep motor by next winter. alot of people do V-8 swaps and such but i'm staying true to the old saying "dance with the one that brung ya". my Jeep is 190hp and runs really strong in the first place which is what is inspiring me to do the build. i've found tons of aftermarket parts such as cams, throttle bodys, injectors, aluminum cylender heads with roller rockers, computer chips, 6-2-1 headers, stroker kits ect. i've even found a company that builds compitition aluminum head long blocks in 4.5, 4.7 and 5.0 strokers. nitrous and superchargers are available too. any other Jeepers on the site?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've got a 91 XJ CHerokee w/ 4.0 & AW4...I havent done much mods..Just a homemade cai and full 2.5-in exhuast w/ Dynomax muffler & Magnaflow high-flow cat...:)

Im thinking bout deleting the A/C and doing a homemade turbo kit...but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
my roommate is a jeep fanatic...dude knows his stuff. We were bs'ing the other day about power adders...most of them arent worth the money. Spend your money on gearing it...then put a cam in it maybe stroke it.

And putting nitrous on a jeep...imo is just dumb

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
my roommate is a jeep fanatic...dude knows his stuff. We were bs'ing the other day about power adders...most of them arent worth the money. Spend your money on gearing it...then put a cam in it maybe stroke it.

And putting nitrous on a jeep...imo is just dumb
Well...you and/or your friend are only saying this becuase you're thinking of bottom end torque for off-road and rock-climbing blah blah...etc.. Im not all that interested in that... And i garuntee it'd be more expensive to do a stroker than it would for me to turbo and im 100% positive the turbo will make more power. And i agree...nitrous isn't dumb..like you said...in "your opinion"

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
exhuast...THE most restrictive thing on the jeep.... the stock 2.25-in for a 4.0L 6 cyl is very small IMO...:)

With my setup I ordered some 2.5-in steel tubing from summitt and had a buddy weld it all up for me with a magnaflow high flow cat and a Dynomax Turbo muffler w/ dump. It's got a nice deep tone when idiling and really opens up under WOT...

I'd also reccoment taking out the stock airbox and puting a filter there...Again i did a homemade setup and used an aluminum 90* bend pipe and a 7-in long K&N filter with a 45* bend silicone coupler and bent a metal plate with some heat insulator to go around the filter...The intake is noticeably louder as well under WOT.. It whistles/hisses at part throttle sometimes.. It's easy to do a homemade CAI for the jeep 4.0 becuase it's speed density, meaning it runs off of the MAP sensor instead of an MAF sensor.

I did all mods to the jeep myself and it's noticeably quicker and louder than stock.. I've surprised a few imports before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jeep 4.0 stroker

The Jeep 4.0 stroker is much cheaper to build than turbo or even nitrous. There is now a website, and still plenty of pages out there that detail the build, but it basically comes down to installing a stock 258 crank and rods, with 4.0 pistons, and decking to get a decent quench. In this case, head work to unshroud the valves and open the chambers is a help to keep the CR down and reduce pinging.

A good recipe seems to be the 96 era block marked NVH, the 7120 head casting, a '99 up round manifold, 62 +mm throttle body, Thorley or Gale Banks header, 22-24 pound injectors, and your choice of a good brand dual pattern cam that runs in the 1200 to 5000 rpm range. You can go a lot more extreme - Barney Navarro ran a destroked twin turbo at Indy with over 720 hp, in a stock casting block, crank, and head. For a street Jeep that doesn't need much offroad manners, this could be done - but the body is still a brick and no good over 85mph. Still, off the stop light, Cherokees surprise a lot of ricers, and 3.55 minimum gearing hasn't hurt that at all.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I'd go with a stroker if i wanted to upgrade my 4.0. IMO its a waste to try and make a jeep "fast". Just put the money into the mustang, or get a nice lift for the jeep instead. Check out JeepForum.com - Jeep & Off-Road Discussion Community for good info.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
I would like to say, draw up a plan first, when building an off road truck or any performance vehicle know where you want to go with it...

that being said, keep us posted on the build :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts